cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Number of VPN tunnels supported 2900/3900 routers?

hmc2500
Level 1
Level 1

IS there a cap on how many VPN tunnels are supported on the 2900/3900 series routers?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are doing vpn with tunnels (either ipsec with gre or ipsec with vti) then there is a limit imposed by the number of Interface Descriptor Blocks. Each vpn tunnel would require an IDB. If you are just doing ipsec (crypto map applied to physical interface but not with an identified tunnel) then I am not aware of any specific limit.

In terms of practicality there would certainly be some limits reflecting the number of peers being processed, the amount of traffic, etc. But in absolute terms I do not believe that there is a limit.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are doing vpn with tunnels (either ipsec with gre or ipsec with vti) then there is a limit imposed by the number of Interface Descriptor Blocks. Each vpn tunnel would require an IDB. If you are just doing ipsec (crypto map applied to physical interface but not with an identified tunnel) then I am not aware of any specific limit.

In terms of practicality there would certainly be some limits reflecting the number of peers being processed, the amount of traffic, etc. But in absolute terms I do not believe that there is a limit.

HTH

Rick

I am glad that my explanation was helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card