Views
Helpful
Replies

NX 7K vPC Configuration

zekebashi
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, 

This will be my first time connecting two 7Ks together using vPC technology.  

I'm planning to implement vPC between two NX-7Ks and I have the steps to accomplish that; however, I wasn't clear if I needed to create the VLANs and other parameters, such as aaa, snmp, ,,,etc on the secondary 7K or once I have connected the two 7Ks the secondary will synch up these pieces of the configuration. 

Thanks in advance. 

Best, ~zK 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi;

In Cisco Nexus VDC is same like as you have separate chassis. 

Yes, you can create a vPC domain on 2 different VDC on 2 separate chassis there will be no issue. 

Thanks & Best regards;

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi;

In 6509E VSS the chassis data plan is separate while control plane is same so you configure the both chassis via single console. 2nd chassis module will seen in first chassis.

While with reference to Nexus 7K in vPC environment your control plan and data plan both are separated. They take their own decision to forward the traffic, in simple on both chassis you need to configure sparately with aaa, vlan, IP address, snmp, routing protocol and etc. With the help of vPC you can still configure multi-chassis etherchannel.

Thanks & Best regards;

Much appreciated, Ahmed!

I posted above a question regarding creating the vPC domain on two different VDCs that exist on two separate chassis. I didn't think that would cause an issue as it's a fundamental requirement  to create the same vPC domain between two separate chassis; however, I wasn't clear if it's the same when the vPC domain is created on two separate VDCs that live on two separate chassis! 

Thanks in advance. 

~zK 

Hi;

In Cisco Nexus VDC is same like as you have separate chassis. 

Yes, you can create a vPC domain on 2 different VDC on 2 separate chassis there will be no issue. 

Thanks & Best regards;

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Zekebashi,

Yes you are aright you need to configure the above into two different switches.

Before a cisco nexus switches brings up a vpc the two cisco nexus switches in the same vPC domain exchange configuration information to verify if both switches have compatible configurations for a vPC topology. Depending on the severity of the impact of possible mismatched configurations, some configuration parameters are considered as Type 1 consistency check parameters while others are considered as Type 2. When a mismatch in Type 1 parameters occur, the following applies: If a graceful consistency check is enabled (default), the primary switch keeps the vPC up while the secondary switch brings it down If a graceful consistency check is disabled, both peer switches suspend VLANs on the vPC ports.  Note The graceful consistency check is a new feature introduced in Cisco NX-OS Release 5.0(2)N2(1) and is enabled by default. For more details, see the “Graceful Consistency Check” section. When Type 2 parameters exist, a configuration mismatch generates a warning syslog message. The vPC on the Cisco Nexus 5000 Series switch remains up and running. The global configuration, such as Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), and the interface-level configurations are included in the consistency check.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Thanks for the info, Inayath! 

I was wondering if there are any considerations to take when creating a vPC domain between two VDCs on two separate chassis? I've reviewed this blog" and got confused" http://dustydev.blogspot.com/2013/03/nexus-7000-vpc-configuration.html" and the author states that "Both vPC peer switches must have the same vPC domain ID. vPC domain ID cannot be the same across VDCs"

Does that mean the vPC domain ID can't be the same across two separate VDCs which exist on two separate chassis? 

Thanks in advance. 

~zK 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card