cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Oops ... Flash deleted

david.hegner
Level 1
Level 1

This weekend I have been working on new Cisco switches for our new office. Last night a series of storms came through our state and a a result power to our current office was lost for a few minutes. I was in the process of downloading the latest Flash revision to one of my switches when this happened.

I know there is probably a more secure way to do this but here is what I do to update flas on my switches.

Establish an IP connection from my laptop NIC.

Establish a Hyperterminal connection to the switch console.

Establish TFTP32 Service IP and directory.

Then I issue the following commands in Hyperterminal:

Format flash:

copy TFTP flash: (then provide all necessary information)

Well I was between commands when the power dropped ! So in effect I formated the Flash and rebooted the switch. Ahhhhhhh I am in uncharted territory, at least for me:)

Can any-one give me an idea of how to recover this switch. I have researched it quite a bit but every article I find assumes there is a running flash.

5 Replies 5

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

if you're standing in front of the switch, you can try

http://stevesjottings.blogspot.com/2011/04/ios-recovery-for-cisco-2960-switch.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thank you Jeff ..... this worked perfectly.

Cool.

Thanks,

Jeff Van Houten

Vice President &

Chief Technology Officer

First Bank and Trust

909 Poydras St.

Suite 3300

New Orleans, LA 70112

www.fbtonline.com<>

"Your Goals Come First"

Ed Willson
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have console access? If so you should be able to transfer an image to the switch via xmodem.  I did this recently as I didn't have enough space to upgrade, so formatted flash, and moved new image and all was good.  Check out this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080094955.shtml

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What model of switch?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card