cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF default route in nssa-external as well as inter-area database

Kashish_Patel
Level 2
Level 2

I have a scenario where there are 4 routers in an nssa area.

Router 1 has three GRE tunnels to other three routers, these tunnels run ospf with different ospf costs.

R1 ----- R2

R1 ----- R3

R1 ----- R4

R1 has all interfaces in nssa area...R2,R3,R4 are generating default route using "default information originate"... I am seeing the default route generated by R2,R3,R4 in nssa-external database on R1....I also see default route generated by R2 and R3 in inter-area database on R1...And because of different costs, R1 is preferring default route coming via R2.....In reality, I expect the default route in just nssa-external database and not in inter-area database and so based on lower cost of R1---R4 tunnel, I expect R1 to prefer default route through R4...Why am I seeing default route landing up in inter-area database also?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kashish,

The presence of the default route as an LSA type 3 is a direct consequence of the no-summary keyword on the "area x nssa" statement. The fact that you also see the default route as a LSA type 7 is normal behavior.

Please refer to the following document confirming that behavior:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a74.shtml#nssas

Hope this helps

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kashish,

It probably has to do with the configuration of r2 and r3. Could you please provide the configs.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks for your reply, Harold. I sent you configs of all 4 routers in offline message...Let me know if you need anything else.

Regards.

Hi Kashish,

The presence of the default route as an LSA type 3 is a direct consequence of the no-summary keyword on the "area x nssa" statement. The fact that you also see the default route as a LSA type 7 is normal behavior.

Please refer to the following document confirming that behavior:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a74.shtml#nssas

Hope this helps

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México