Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF DR Placement

rpfchecker
Level 1
Level 1

Theoretical question for my understanding:
Say I have OSPF running in a shared segment that has 4 identical routers.
Is there a reason for me to select a particular router to be the DR?
If so, what are the use cases other than processing power?
Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Just processing power'

The routers in same  ospf area have same DB so for memory all router need to have same memory 

Last point is the BW of link of DR  since DR talk to all routers in l2 domain it need to have high BW.

That all

MHM

"Just processing power'"

Certainly an important consideration, but perhaps more important would be available processing power.

For example consider R1 has 3x the performance capacity of R2 but R1 has 80% average CPU load while R2 is only 5%.  Would R1 be the better choice?

"Last point is the BW of link of DR since DR talk to all routers in l2 domain it need to have high BW."

Hmm, and how much bandwidth might that be?  Reason I ask, assuming a DR segment is on a LAN, don't recall even 10 Mbps Ethernet being much of a bottleneck for DR/BDR/other communications.  (Keep in mind DR's purpose is to reduce resource demands, and, for example, usage of OSPF multicast.). Also, likely all the routers on a shared segment have like bandwidth interfaces.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You might also take into consideration how "busy" each of those routers are, when selecting DR and BDR.  Although each has an interface in the same shared segment, and they are identical models, we know nothing else.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card