Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF, RIP or BGP

imanco671
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I have a very mixed router environment. I currently have a sonicwall, 2 watchguards, PIX 501, PIX 502, adding a Cisco Catalyst 3560 and addding a ASA 5510.

As of now, my network has manual routing tables on each device.

I would like to introduce some sort of Cisco Routing Protocol. I just dont know if I can or if I should.

Can I run these routing protocols between the cisco hardware only and keep the manual routes on the sonicwall and watchguards?

Will it mix okay? If so, which protocol would you recommend?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi John,

these ar all open standards so they should be supported by all vendors but it will depend on which gear so you'll have to do a research for the supported protocols.I would stay away from BGP in your internal network and furthermore ASA and Pix don't support it.You could use OSPF as it has better convergence than RIPv2 and you can tweak it more.

You can leave static routes on some devices and do redistribution into your protocol.

But if it is working with static routes then as your network is not a large one you can leave it this way without any problem because it will be easier to troubleshoot if you're not well versed into the routing protocols.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi John,

these ar all open standards so they should be supported by all vendors but it will depend on which gear so you'll have to do a research for the supported protocols.I would stay away from BGP in your internal network and furthermore ASA and Pix don't support it.You could use OSPF as it has better convergence than RIPv2 and you can tweak it more.

You can leave static routes on some devices and do redistribution into your protocol.

But if it is working with static routes then as your network is not a large one you can leave it this way without any problem because it will be easier to troubleshoot if you're not well versed into the routing protocols.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

EIGRP is Cisco Proprietary so you can only run that between Cisco devices.

You can run OSPF on the other and then redistribute the OSPF routes into EIGRP for routing between all the Cisco devices.  You will need to have one of the devices running EIRGP and OSPF.

It is possible but will make for a bit of complexity in troubleshooting and setting up if you have never done that.

This link talks about redistribution of the routes as well as shows some config examples

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009487e.shtml

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card