Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV implementation on ASR platform

benct
Level 1
Level 1

Ladies and Gentlemen of the CSC,

The  attached configuration for OTV on an ASR is functional, however I'd like to have a solution that doesn't litter the console with the CLNS bad packet error message and require an igmp join statement on the OTV join interface when the Cisco documentation seems to imply none is required. 

Could the appropriate Cisco people comment on the configuration and if appropriate when a fix for the error would be available?

Thanks  

Benjamin           

11 Replies 11

mohammedrafiq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you provide config for the peer OTV device.

Regards,

Aries Fernandes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Kindly note that OTV does not support usage of loopback interfaces as its join-interface kindly add a physical interface.

I have implemented OTV with loopback address as the join interface on the ASR 1K between 4 sites with 8 ASRs in total.

It is possible and it works.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Could you kindly let me know the image on which you used this for ASR1K specifically. Also the configurations you used which was used for the same. This would be very helpful, since as far as I know and the feedback I have received, they tell me that loopback is not supported as join-interface for ASR1K platforms.

Sure, no problem, I will provide sample configs which may be used as reference.

I get to work in around 3 hours so once I arrive there, I will post something up.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hello, I decided to write up a document on my implementation of OTV with ASRs.

You're welcome to view it here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-32401

Hope this helps!

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi Bilal Nawaz,

Appreciate your contribution. But the link doesn't work which was you provided. I would like to learn the configuration.

Thank you,

Han

I have a small write up related to OTV. Maybe this will help, not sure:

http://stayinginit.blogspot.in/2013/12/basic-unicast-overlay-transport.html

Hello Han,

I removed the document since it was affecting Aries and his colleague, they kept arguing telling me it doesn't work with loopback, however I still remain of the opinion that it does work on certain images.

I was just really frustrated since they were telling me something I have working does not work. So... I didn't want to waste my time and theirs.

All OS related with right feature sets can accomplish this however I think Cisco have just stopped this at CLI level on newer images.

It may be unsupported but you know what, been about 3 - 5 years as far as I can remember, it hasn't failed once. Happy to share config if required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymwAjJm6ADw

jkilleda
Level 3
Level 3
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card