cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Size of My Network

prince892
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone i want to know that how i can find Packet or Data size of my Network ? from going to Branch office to HQ.

mean i am in Branch Office and we connected through IPSEC VPN to our HQ Server.. we are connected through Broadband Internet no Leased Line

SO when i ping HQ from Branch i am getting 50 to 60ms ping reply and through which data is very slow and getting issue 

so some friends told me check MTU issue . so i ping my server 192.168.2.102 -t -f -l 1430 its not give me FragmRouting, MTU, VPNent issue

but when ping more then 1430 MTU size it give me data need to be fragmente but send to DF

i have following Confusing and Question

1. how i will know that how much Packet size is coming to my Router or Swithc .. and then HQ

2. how i can check size of per packet ? e.g MTU size by default 1500 but how i can know that what is our Data or packet size go to router thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

For viewing the current MTU, you can check with packet capture as Wireshark. We are commending to keep 1476 on the GRE tunnel. You can use the MTU path discovery option on your network. You can flow the guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/generic-routing-encapsulation-gre/25885-pmtud-ipfrag.html

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

your best option is probably to use a free packet analyzer such as Wireshark...

https://www.wireshark.org/download.html

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

For viewing the current MTU, you can check with packet capture as Wireshark. We are commending to keep 1476 on the GRE tunnel. You can use the MTU path discovery option on your network. You can flow the guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/generic-routing-encapsulation-gre/25885-pmtud-ipfrag.html

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

i read it and thanks for infromation i got it but i don't know that what is the MTU on ISP side?

but we are connected through Broadband so my friend suggest me to buy Leased Line for IPSEC VPN because on leased line you will get faster Data 

Hello,

what country are you in, and who is your ISP/provider ? A leased line would indeed be better, since you get dedicated bandwidth, however, your MTU problem is probably not related to bandwidth issues.

Post the configuration of your router(s), the MTU depends on what kind of tunnel you are using. If you set the MTU to 1400 (and the 'tcp adjust-mss' value to 1360) you should be fine in pretty much all setups.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card