Helpful
Replies

PBR, set ip next-hop recursive

MapleMagician
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to understand what the

recursive

keyword actually does. I've labbed several scenario's and I seem to get the same result whether the

recursive

keyword is there or not. Can someone explain to me the purpose of this keyword?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Much of the time in configuring PBR you are sending traffic to a local interface or to a

next hop

that is directly connected (and therefore has an entry in the routing table). Occasionally you might want to send traffic to a

next hop

that is not directly connected (and therefore may not have an entry in the routing table). Using recursive supports forwarding to a remote

next hop

See this doc for additional details:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute_pi/configuration/guide/iri_prb_rec_next_hop_external_docbase_0900e4b1810fe58b_4container_external_docbase_0900e4b181525fed.html

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Much of the time in configuring PBR you are sending traffic to a local interface or to a

next hop

that is directly connected (and therefore has an entry in the routing table). Occasionally you might want to send traffic to a

next hop

that is not directly connected (and therefore may not have an entry in the routing table). Using recursive supports forwarding to a remote

next hop

See this doc for additional details:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute_pi/configuration/guide/iri_prb_rec_next_hop_external_docbase_0900e4b1810fe58b_4container_external_docbase_0900e4b181525fed.html

HTH

Rick

This is the answer I was looking for. I actually read that article but your explanation helped me understand. Thank you!

I am glad that my explanation helped you understand the solution better. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @MapleMagician,

The

set ip next-hop recursive

command in PBR is used to specify a recursive

next-hop

IP address. This can be particularly useful when you want to perform PBR and forward traffic to a

next-hop

IP address, but that

next-hop

IP address is learned dynamically through a routing protocol.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card