cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PfR on 1921 Routers

Dan Brook
Level 1
Level 1

I have anumber of 1921 routers deployed and am looking into using PfR. I'm having a bit of a headache working out if my 1921s support PfR and what IOS version/licenses I would need.

At the moment I have most running Version 15.2(4)M3 and some new ones running 15.4(3)M2.

PfR or OER commands are not recognised.

Will my 1921s support PfR in any shape or form?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need to have all of your PfR routers at or above 15.4(3)M as well as a Data license.  This version of code and above supports PfR version 3 and below it supports version 2.  They are not compatible. Before you put this into production, I would HIGHLY recommended working with it in a lab environment and some traffic generators.  Once PfR starts redirecting traffic, you need to know how to tune it and troubleshoot it.  A good place to start is the PfR docwiki:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/PfRv3:Home

Also, monitor router utilization as you add more features such as NBARv2, etc...  V3 runs on the ISR G2s, but the ISR 4Ks have the power to fully utilize the IWAN features.

Scott

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Daniel,

I think you would need DATA license on router. What is the current license on the router?

Cheers

Hitesh

For License

Q. What are the New Universal Software Image requirements for Cisco Performance Routing (PfR)?

A. Refer to Figure 3.

Figure 3. New Cisco ISR G2 Simplified Feature Sets (PfR is within the DATA Package)

White paper c11 556985-51.jpg

For Hardware/IOS see below

Q. What are the base hardware requirements for Cisco Performance Routing (PfR)?

A. Refer to Figure 1.

Figure 1. Cisco Performance Routing Platform Support

Pfr-platform-support.png

Full information on http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Performance_Routing_FAQs

Hope this helps.

Hitesh

Pls rate useful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I haven't tried PfR on a 19xx (or any other recent series ISR), but on the 28xx series, you needed more than IP Base.  So, my guess would be PfR might require some advanced feature set and/or specific license.  It's also possible, though, it might not be supported on something low-end like the 19xx series (one of your questions).  Unfortunately, sorry I couldn't be more helpful.  Someone else may answer yet.

You need to have all of your PfR routers at or above 15.4(3)M as well as a Data license.  This version of code and above supports PfR version 3 and below it supports version 2.  They are not compatible. Before you put this into production, I would HIGHLY recommended working with it in a lab environment and some traffic generators.  Once PfR starts redirecting traffic, you need to know how to tune it and troubleshoot it.  A good place to start is the PfR docwiki:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/PfRv3:Home

Also, monitor router utilization as you add more features such as NBARv2, etc...  V3 runs on the ISR G2s, but the ISR 4Ks have the power to fully utilize the IWAN features.

Scott

Thanks everyone,

That seems to be correct. I have loaded a trial DATA license onto a spare 1921 running 15.4(3)M and the command are there. Now for some time creating a lab to see if I can do what I want to achieve.

Dan.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card