Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIM Anycast-RP Set on Nexus VPC

Hello everybody.

I have a question about anycast-rp on a pair of Nexus in VPC.

I'm reading this guide:https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/multicast/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Multicast_Routing_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Multicast_Routing_Configuration_Guide_chapt...

When it spokes about the configuration of the loopback to use as rp address on both of them and put it in a dynamic routing process to allow the rest of the network to reach the RP, it said in the notes on the right side configuration steps: "Enables the interface to be reachable by other routers in the Anycast RP set."

I understand that the loopback rp address should be reacheable to the rest of the network via any kind of announcement (dynamic or statics) but why it say: "...by other routers in the Anycast RP set"?

Seems that the other Nexus on VPC deployment that has the same loopback's ip address should too receive the announce from the VPC peer.

But it has yet the same ip as directly connected, so the announce never appear in its routing table.

So, for my understanding enabling the OSPF process inside the RP loopback address its only usefull for the rest of the network not for the other peer in the RP set.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day.

Americo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Americo,

This is a mistake in the documentation.

- The IP address of the first loopback interface is the same on all RPs in the RP set and needs to be reachable to all multicast routers in the network.

- The IP address of the second loopback interface is different on all RPs in the RP set and needs to be reachable between all the RPs in the RP set.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
MĆ©xico mĆ³vil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco MĆ©xico
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
CuauhtƩmoc, JuƔrez
Ciudad de MĆ©xico, 06600
MĆ©xico

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Americo,

This is a mistake in the documentation.

- The IP address of the first loopback interface is the same on all RPs in the RP set and needs to be reachable to all multicast routers in the network.

- The IP address of the second loopback interface is different on all RPs in the RP set and needs to be reachable between all the RPs in the RP set.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco MĆ©xico
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
CuauhtƩmoc, JuƔrez
Ciudad de MĆ©xico, 06600
MĆ©xico

Hello Harold.

thanks a lot for your explanation.

Have you a nice day.

Americo

You are very welcome Americo.

Have a nice day

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco MĆ©xico
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
CuauhtƩmoc, JuƔrez
Ciudad de MĆ©xico, 06600
MĆ©xico

Hi friend 

just I ask rp usually config in spine not leaf why you need to config it on leaf?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card