Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping from one router through another router

Fenderbridge
Level 1
Level 1

I have a lab set up in my garage, like this:

A router(B) connected to another router (A), this router (A) connected to two core switches, both connected to a server switch. At the end, a raspberry pi connected to F1/0/3 on ServerA.  All configs attached.

I am able to ping from the Raspberry Pi(192.168.10.10) to RouterB(10.10.10.2), and am able to ping the VLAN 10 on ServerA (192.168.10.4), but am unable to ping the RPi itself.  I am able to ping from RouterA(10.10.10.1) to RPi with not problem, and vice-versa.

I've reached the end of my rope.  I've tried changing my ospf settings on RouterA, adding direct ip routes, changing VLAN IP address on G0/0 on RouterB, but nothing I do seems to make it work right.  Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Fender

24 Replies 24

Thank you so much!

Hello,

I ended up configuring all the links between the switches (and between the CoreA switches and the router) as either trunks or access ports in Vlan 10. If you just need Vlan 10, configure all ports on the switches as:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

If you need more Vlans, use trunks on all links:

switchport mode trunk

Also, make sure that RouterB has no Vlan 10 interface.

I had end-to-end connectivity between all devices right away.

Thank you for taking the time, I really appreciate it!

I went through and made sure all ports on switches were set to switch access vlan 10, and sw mode access.  I also removed vlan 10 on RouterB.  This didn't work, the issue remains.

Further, I completely removed CoreA2 from the mix.  I am able to ping 192.168.10.4, which is the SVI on ServerA, from RouterB, however I am unable to ping RPi.

I will continue Labing this and will get back to you after I perform my Due Diligence to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Thank you.

Hello,

don't use any SVI on any of the switches. Just configure Vlan 10 on RouterB, and put an IP address in the Vlan 10 range on the Raspberry.

Hello,

attached are the configs that should work. The main issue is that your switches can only have a management Vlan (typically Vlan 1), and no other SVIs (Vlan interfaces).

My mind is boggled.  I am having trouble still.  I went, line by line, and even copied and pasted your configuration, I have the same config, and RouterB still cannot ping 192.168.10.10, but RouterA can.  I can no longer ping 10.10.10.2 (G0/0 on RouterB) from RPi.

I have no idea what is going on or why it doesn't work, it certainly should.

Hello, 

I am starting to wonder if the Raspberry might be the problem. I have used a 'normal' PC in my lab. What happens if you hook the Raspberry up directly to RouterA, that is, without any of the switches in between ?

Router is two direction, echo & echo reply,

from router B without config the source of the ping will depend on route table select the best path, and I think it select the path toward hsrp standby not active,

so from first step to check this what is routing table in R-b show you is it path to standby hsrp?

Hello MHM, thank you for your interest in helping me out!  Between these two routers, I don't have standby/hsrp enabled. 

Here is 'sho ip route' from RouterB

RouterB#sho ip route
Codes: L - local, C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2
ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route
o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route, H - NHRP, l - LISP
a - application route
+ - replicated route, % - next hop override, p - overrides from PfR

Gateway of last resort is not set

10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
C 10.10.10.0/24 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/0
L 10.10.10.2/32 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/0
172.16.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 3 subnets, 2 masks
O 172.16.1.1/32 [110/2] via 10.10.10.1, 00:35:52, GigabitEthernet0/0
C 172.16.2.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback0
L 172.16.2.1/32 is directly connected, Loopback0
O 192.168.10.0/24 [110/2] via 10.10.10.1, 00:35:52, GigabitEthernet0/0
RouterB#

ggg.png
I make this for all to full understand what issue.
as I mention before the issue from STP and HSRP active.
so my idea as following:-
there are many L2 connect (please not you use L2 port in router so it also effect by STP)
NOW the traffic from the RPi is go to DGW HSRP active and from there to router B
router B go not active HSRP but standby and standby must forward to active and here it drop because the link is STP BLK state.
so if you can use my digram and mention where is STP BLK port according to your topology.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card