Views
Helpful
Replies

ping of death

AdamBudzinski
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

the maximum packet length for IPv4 = 65,535 bytes but the size is limited due to the physical layers MTU( 1500 for Ethernet). So to send larger packets it would require fragmentation.

Since sending a ping packet larger than 65,535 bytes violates the Internet Protocol, attackers would generally send malformed packets in fragments.

I cannot run a ping command with grater packet size than 1460 bytes even without the don't fragment flag. Would that mean that the router I'm connected to is not allowing for packet fragmentation? 

edit: it should be the MTU limiting the packet size and the router would perform fragmentation when it's in turn connected to another network with a lower MTU. But how does a ping of death attack than works ? Do they sent already malformed fragmented packets from the attackers hosts (boots? ) 

Also why when I try to ping with a packet size of for example 65 000 I', receiving general failure ? 

Is it common to prevent packet fragmentation ? 

best regards

adam

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ping of death was an issue resolved long ago.  As long as you are using modern software you don't need to worry about this attack.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card