Views
Helpful
Replies

Please Help Me...My router 2611 showing wrong language in tera term

Shahzaib Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

I have just connected a Cisco 2600 series router with a rolled over cable one port ( RJ-45 connector) in my console port and serial port in my PC COM1 port. Now when i open tera term and want to type something, the router is showing stange language. I have attached a snap for the reference. Please check and advice me. Waiting for your kind reply thanks....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Shahzaib,

1.Just check your console cable?

2. If you are sure that the cable is good, you are connected to the right Com(Try and change) port and your baud rate is correct, then turn off the router  completely and wait a couple of minutes, connect the consol cable to the  router and then turn it back on.  Let us know what happens

3. Most of the time when you see garbage on the screen, the issue is the baud rate.

So, start from 9600 which is default and go up to 115200

Make  sure evey time you change the baud rate to discoonect and reconnect. If  you don't, the baud rate change will not be effective.

Regards

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Hello Shahzaib,

Please try to change the flow control to none if it is not the case. Did you try to check this in another software like putty/ secure crt ?

regards

harish.

Dear brother, the flow control is already none. and no i did not try other software. But i am using same software ( Tera Term) to manage cisco 2960 series switches and it is working fine. Can you please give me the link to download putty or secure crt....

Hi Shahzaib,

Use Hyperterminal or tERA TERM.

Wt is your COM1/3 properties:

It should be

Bit - 9600

data - 8

parity - none

stop - 1

flow - hardware/ None(Try with this both)

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

@ sandeepchoudhary21

I have just tried this but the result is same? This is really strange for me. I received this router from other office and i dont know it is OK or not.

Hi Shahzaib,

1.Just check your console cable?

2. If you are sure that the cable is good, you are connected to the right Com(Try and change) port and your baud rate is correct, then turn off the router  completely and wait a couple of minutes, connect the consol cable to the  router and then turn it back on.  Let us know what happens

3. Most of the time when you see garbage on the screen, the issue is the baud rate.

So, start from 9600 which is default and go up to 115200

Make  sure evey time you change the baud rate to discoonect and reconnect. If  you don't, the baud rate change will not be effective.

Regards

@ sandeepchoudhary21 and Harish Balakrishnan

I tried all the said option but still could not succeeded. And when i try  to connect my switces 2960 series, they work very fine. Is it possible that there is some problem in router IOS? and 1 more thing the that should i change the baud rate on tera term software or on my computer com1 serial port. I tried on tera term changing baud rate.

Dear Sandeep,

Thank you very much for your help. The problem is solved by adjusting the bit rate to 115200. Thank you very much for your help

Thanks Shahzaid

Hello Shahzaid,

I have seen this issue once and I could get the console back after trying a different speed other than 9600..

its worth trying the below speeds which are serial supported rates

I know its hard but a worth to try at this moment

Regards

Please rate all helpful posts

harish

@ sandeepchoudhary21 and Harish Balakrishnan

I tried all the said option but still could not succeeded. And when i try  to connect my switces 2960 series, they work very fine. Is it possible that there is some problem in router IOS? and 1 more thing the that should i change the baud rate on tera term software or on my computer com1 serial port. I tried on tera term changing baud rate.

Hi Shahzaib,

Do you have another software like putty or Hyperterminal.

You can try with that one.

If you are running xp operating system then u can find hyperterminal here:

All programs>Accessories>Communications>Hyper Terminal

try with this and let me know

use this settings:

Bit - 9600

data - 8

parity - none

stop - 1

flow -

hardware

and connect with correct port. and then restarts the router.

REgards

Thanks harish.. your post also helped me alot. Problem is solved

Hi Shahzaib,

where was the exact problem ???

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card