Replies

Point to Point connection

Tazio4436
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have 2 locations. 

Please see attached topology

The first one is the Main Office and the second one is the Data Center/Colocation.

We have 2 different ISP at the Main office ISP1 and ISP2.

ISP1 is connected to a Layer 3 SW on Port 1 and Port 2 and Port 3 from same SW goes to our Primary and secondary Firewalls.

ISP2 is connected to a Layer 3 SW on Port 1 and Port 2 and Port 3 from same SW goes to our Primary and secondary Firewalls also.

Both the Primary and secondary Firewall are connected to our stack SW which is the Core in a redundant way.

The Data Center/COLO has one ISP which is ISP3. ISP3 is connected to a Layer 3 SW and then to Firewall and then to our stack SW which is the Core.

The Ip range of the Main office is 21.21.21.0/21

The Ip range of the Data Center/COLO is 30.30.30.0/21

The 2 locations are connected using VPN 1. We use this connection mainly to do backups.

Now a new connection has been added to improve the transfer are for backups between these 2 locations.

The new connection is a Point to point layer 2 connection and on the main Office side it has been terminated on a Layer 3 SW provided by the ISP and on the Data Center it is LC fiber.

My questions are as follows:

• Is there a way to make the Point to point connection be configured as a VPN 2?  
  • Is there a way to make VPN2 as primary VPN and VPN1 as secondary and in case one fails the other VPN kicks in?
  • Or is there any other way we can connect the point to point connection so that transfer data rate for backup will be much faster as compared to VPN?
  • Do we need another SW on the Data Center/Colo side for ISP4 (point to point connection) as we have used only one port out of 24 ports?
  • Any other solution or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tazio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Layer 2 p2p I take as Layer 2 MPLS or Dark Fibre.

If that is Layer 2, I will use as Layer 2 (if this is a private circuit) to run some IGP - using SVI between DC and main office, use that a priority, and also run IGP over VPN, in case Layer 2 Link fails uses the VPN link, if this is Cisco use EIGRP, that support unequal links.

or tell us how is your routing exiting?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Layer 2 p2p I take as Layer 2 MPLS or Dark Fibre.

If that is Layer 2, I will use as Layer 2 (if this is a private circuit) to run some IGP - using SVI between DC and main office, use that a priority, and also run IGP over VPN, in case Layer 2 Link fails uses the VPN link, if this is Cisco use EIGRP, that support unequal links.

or tell us how is your routing exiting?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello everyone,

This project is on hold for now. 

Sorry for inconvenience. I could not even test the suggestions.

Thanks

Tazio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card