Replies

Point to Point connection

Tazio4436
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have 2 locations. 

Please see attached topology

The first one is the Main Office and the second one is the Data Center/Colocation.

We have 2 different ISP at the Main office ISP1 and ISP2.

ISP1 is connected to a Layer 3 SW on Port 1 and Port 2 and Port 3 from same SW goes to our Primary and secondary Firewalls.

ISP2 is connected to a Layer 3 SW on Port 1 and Port 2 and Port 3 from same SW goes to our Primary and secondary Firewalls also.

Both the Primary and secondary Firewall are connected to our stack SW which is the Core in a redundant way.

The Data Center/COLO has one ISP which is ISP3. ISP3 is connected to a Layer 3 SW and then to Firewall and then to our stack SW which is the Core.

The Ip range of the Main office is 21.21.21.0/21

The Ip range of the Data Center/COLO is 30.30.30.0/21

The 2 locations are connected using VPN 1. We use this connection mainly to do backups.

Now a new connection has been added to improve the transfer are for backups between these 2 locations.

The new connection is a Point to point layer 2 connection and on the main Office side it has been terminated on a Layer 3 SW provided by the ISP and on the Data Center it is LC fiber.

My questions are as follows:

• Is there a way to make the Point to point connection be configured as a VPN 2?  
  • Is there a way to make VPN2 as primary VPN and VPN1 as secondary and in case one fails the other VPN kicks in?
  • Or is there any other way we can connect the point to point connection so that transfer data rate for backup will be much faster as compared to VPN?
  • Do we need another SW on the Data Center/Colo side for ISP4 (point to point connection) as we have used only one port out of 24 ports?
  • Any other solution or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tazio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Layer 2 p2p I take as Layer 2 MPLS or Dark Fibre.

If that is Layer 2, I will use as Layer 2 (if this is a private circuit) to run some IGP - using SVI between DC and main office, use that a priority, and also run IGP over VPN, in case Layer 2 Link fails uses the VPN link, if this is Cisco use EIGRP, that support unequal links.

or tell us how is your routing exiting?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Layer 2 p2p I take as Layer 2 MPLS or Dark Fibre.

If that is Layer 2, I will use as Layer 2 (if this is a private circuit) to run some IGP - using SVI between DC and main office, use that a priority, and also run IGP over VPN, in case Layer 2 Link fails uses the VPN link, if this is Cisco use EIGRP, that support unequal links.

or tell us how is your routing exiting?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello everyone,

This project is on hold for now. 

Sorry for inconvenience. I could not even test the suggestions.

Thanks

Tazio

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card