cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

POS-STM4 throughput

ashishpanda
Level 1
Level 1

I am testing the throughput offered by the POS-STM4 card on 2 7304 connected back to back. What I can see is the throughput(layer2 Bit rate) is not reaching the desired level(I am expecting it to go upto 599Mbps. The second thing which worries me is throughput varies with the packet size. For 60 byte packets its 551 and increses upto 596Mbps for 1500byte packets but never reaching 599Mbps. Is it the expected behaviour? appriciate if any documents/pointers on STM4 throughput is available.

regards

Ashish

3 Replies 3

ashishpanda
Level 1
Level 1

one more addition..CPU/PXF doesnot seem to be the limiting factor in this because PXF and RP utilization are below 20%. Any help on this is higly appriciated.#

regards

Ashish

Asahi,

Your testing is close to machine limits and the limited throughput for smaller packet size is indicating exactly that. You will need to scale up with the platform if you want stm4 / gigabit performance at any packet speed. A 7600 should work fine for that.

Thanks for your reply. i dont think router performance is an issue. 7304 NSE-100 is capable of handling 4Gbps of bidirectional traffic. And I can see only 20% of PXF and RP<10% being used. More over I tested this with 12000 GSR also which yilds similar results. Is there something I am missing?

regards

Ashish

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card