cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Potential subnetting issue?

jasonfaas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.  I was using packet tracer to build a simple network to test my subnetting abilities, and I believe I have everything subnetted correctly, however I cannot seem to get information to travel to the other network.  I didnt set up anything security wise on these as it was practice for subnetting only, so I just wanted to make sure there was communication, but I can ping everything within the local network, however as soon as it tries to go out to the other router, it fails.  Destination host unreachable.  I watched the simulation but couldnt figure out why it wouldnt send it on.  I havent had to do static routes in class yet, even though we have briefly discussed them, and we have discussed OSPF but I havent had to configure that either.

If its one of those two, my only guess as to why I havent seen this yet is because they already have that set in the Packet Tracer activities they have us do.  Here are my maps.  I couldnt attach my pkt file.

4 Replies 4

Attach the zipped pkt file and we can take a look.

"Destination host unreachable" you dont route on the routers.

Hello,

Please see my solution below as it fixed your issue when I applied it to your packet tracer file. You could also do the same with EIGRP but I used OSPF since you said you talked about it.

Config t

router ospf 1

network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 area 0

no auto-summary

-David

Hello,

Subnetting aside you will need to make sure both routers know how to get to the respective remote subnets either with static routes or a routing protocol.

Easiest way is probably this on both routers:

Config t

router ospf 1

network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 area 0

no auto-summary

This assuming all interfaces on both routers cover all the subnets you want to reach.

-David

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card