Views
Helpful
Replies

PPPoE Client on ISR1100 (C1116-4P) LAN Port

Gerald Krause
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we need to establish an PPPoE client connection on one of the switched LAN Ports on the ISR1100 with IOS XE. But it will not work. The same configuration on the routed WAN Port does work.

#
# PPPoE over routed Port is ok:
#
!
Interface Gi0/0/0
!
Interface Gi0/0/0.7
encapsulation dot1q 7
pppoe enable
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 7
!
Interface Dialer 7
dialer pool 7
dialer-group 7
!

#
# PPPoE over switched Port does not work:
#
!
Interface Vlan 7
pppoe enable
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 7
!
Interface Gi0/1/3
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 7
!
Interface Dialer 7
dialer group 7
dialer pool 7
!

With "debug pppoe ..." we see thet PADIs where send with the source MAC of the Vlan7 interface but it keeps in the "padi timer expired / PADISNT" status.

Is this a bug or a known limitation of IOS XE?

Gerald

2 Replies 2

Interface Vlan 7
pope enable<-delete
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 7<-delete

try delete above and check again 

Thank you but where shoudl I put the "pppoe ..." config if not in the "Interface Vlan" section? I've tried it in the "Interface Gi0/1/3" section as well but that also does not work.

I know that we have had the same issue on the 800 Series some time ago. Not all software versions where capable doing PPPoE over the switched LAN ports.

From the pppoe debug and the Interface counter I'am pretty sure that the PADO response from the provider is entering the Gi0/1/3 Interface as expected so the ISR1100 was sending the PADI packet in a proper way out. But it seems that the response PADO packet doesn't reach the PPPoE-process on this ISR1100 which might be a software problem (I've tried 16.9, 16.12 and 17.3).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: