cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

prefering 1 eigrp route over another

DARYLE DIANIS
Level 1
Level 1

another dumb question, I guess.  I have a 2 routers, r1 and r2, connected to a layer 3 switch.  All 3 devices run eigrp.  I would like to send traffic from the layer 3 switch for a destination, say 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0  to r1 and different traffic , say 10.2.2.0 255.255.255.0 to r2. In my eigrp routing table, I get all traffic going to r1, nothing to r2.  I've tried max paths, variance, hsrp, route-maps (route maps in the bgp section, since r1 and r2 also run bgp), static routes and I just can't seem to figure this out.   How do I go about doing this?

thanks,

4 Replies 4

Renan Abreu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use offset list matching routes and using some penalties to make that route worse.

How is it configured in the L3 switch? Is it the same SVI for both routers?

Is one SVI for R1 and another for R2?

If they're different SVI you can do this below.

access-list 99 permit 10.2.2.0 0.0.0.255

router eigrp x

offset-list 99 in XXX   vlan y

XXX => Value to be greater than the backup route

Y -> SVI connected to R1

This would make this specific route to have a penalty so the traffic would flow through R2.

Hello

You could also use PBR.

access-list 100 permit scr dest

route-map PBR permit 10

match ip address 100
 set ip next-hop x.x.x.x
set ip next-hop verify-availability

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

hey, thanks, 3 different things I can try, just when I was thinking it couldn't be done.  thanks again.

e.ciollaro
Level 4
Level 4

Another way is using administrative distance; you can modify it using :

router eigrp <as>

distance <admin_dist>  <source_ip> <wild card mask> <acl>

You can give routes (or some routes) from r1 a worst admin distance; this way the switch will prefere routes from r2.

Bye,

enrico.

please rate if useful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card