cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

private line ckt issue

gavin han
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we have private line between our data centers (they are 1500 miles apart). on one end it is connected to nexus switch and on other end it is connected to 6500 switch.

nexus switch interface that connects to this private line shows as DOWN while 6500 switch end interface shows as UP. I bounced nexus switch end interface but nexus end switch interface didn't come up (6500 end switch interface was UP all the time). then I bounced 6500 switch end interface than nexus switch end interface came UP. why is that?

would this be an issue from nexus or 6500 switch end or would that be an issue from private line provider (ISP)?

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

That seems to me that the issue was at the provided side, but to be sure can you post relevant configs from both the 7k and the 6500?

HTH

vinayk3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gavin ,

To me its looks like some communication issue between two sides. Its most likely a transient issue however we can verify that in a Mainetence window.

You can shutdown the link are both the sides and then unshut it . In case similar issue appears try chaning the SFP at both sides and one by one and test.

In case issue still presits try chaging the ports on both the routers one by one to test. This way you would be able to narrow down the problem in case its consistent. However to me it looks liks some transient issue.

Hi,

Depending on the service you are using, the port status is not necessarily an indication of a failed circuit or misconfiguration. I recommend you to insure a working layer 1 and if you can verify that contact your service provider. Bouncing interfaces on both sites surely wont help. In Metro Ethernet environments, the port should always be up/up. You may also want to check UDLD/errdisabled ports

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card