cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem connecting Microsoft PPTP VPN on RV042G Router with Dual WAN and Load Balancing enabled.

Ted@JMO
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an RV042G Dual Wan VPN Router (Firmware Version: v4.2.3.14) configured to forward PPTP connections to a Windows 2012 R2 Server.

I recently added a second ISP connection to accommodate the increased demand for bandwidth and everything else seems to work fine.

The problem I have is that the external VPN connections work consistently when the Dual Wan is configured as "Smart Link Backup", however as soon as it is switched to "Load Balance (Auto Mode)" it becomes very flakey and only seem to work in off hours when there are very few users in the office.

I have tried everything I could think of, including setting up "Protocol Binding", however I must admit I'm a bit confused as to what should be used for the Source and Destination IP in these rules.

Any Assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted. 

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technically if you make only 1 Route going out for that VPN should work as expected, since you Loadbalacing, the traffic may be asymmetric here.

Try only 1 ISP if any config can tweak to use.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

Protocol binding will push the particular traffic that you have specified through the specific wan interface chosen for that traffic, so depending on how you have set this up could impede your internal users internet connectivity especially when using vpn.

You don't specify what type of vpn your using and what specific issue is being experienced by your users but I would say splitting your source traffic to go through deferring vpns could cause intermittent connectivity issues if you dont really understand this feature of protocol binding

Example protocol binding- 
source ips 192.168.1.1 -100 going internet on port tcp 80 = Use wan interface 1
source ips 192.168.1.1 -100 going internet  on port tcp 25 (smtp mail = Use wan interface 2
source ips 192.168.1.100 -200 going internet on port tcp 80 = Use wan interface 2
source ips 192.168.1.100 -200 going internet  on port tcp 25 (smtp mail = Use wan interface 1
etc..

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I did specify the VPN as Microsoft PPTP and the issue is that when connecting from an external source it becomes inconsistent with the RV042G in "Load Balance(Auto Mode)" mode, however it works 100% with the router in "Smart Link Backup" mode.

One additional, the VPN traffic is being forwarded to a Windows 2012 RAS server.

Thanks,

Ted.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card