cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS on 1841 with ACL Help

sam
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that wants to prioritize printing on tcp port 9100 and handheld scanners on tcp port 11590 in addition to the current prioritization of Avaya IP Office VoIP.  Web browsing would be the lowest priority out of the three .  I'm not quite sure how to do this as I believe this will require an ACL as the packets are not tagged by the respective devices.  Here's what I have now on the remote router:

class-map match-any VOIP

match  dscp ef

class-map match-any IPSI

match  dscp af41

!

!

policy-map AVAYA-QOS

class VOIP

priority percent 40

class IPSI

bandwidth percent 5

class class-default

fair-queue

random-detect

!

!

!

interface Multilink1

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0

max-reserved-bandwidth 100

service-policy output AVAYA-QOS

no ip route-cache cef

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

no cdp enable

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The policy you posted is applied on a PPP multilink but are the printers and scanners communicating over this leased line to other offices?

Or is it inside the LAN between VLANs?

If traffic is not QoS marked then yes to match it you'll need an ACL.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Cadet,

Everything goes across the multilink, no VLAN's on either side.  What I need direction on are the commands for the ACL and then the corresponding class-map and policy map commands re. the ACL.

Thanks

Hi,

then you could do something like that:

ip access-list extended PRINT

permit tcp any any eq  9100

permit tcp any eq 9100 any

ip access-list extended SCAN

permit tcp any any eq 11590

permit tcp any eq 11590 any

class-map match-any  PRINT_SCAN

match access-group name PRINT

match access-group name SCAN

policy-map AVAYA-QOS

class VOIP

priority percent 40

class IPSI

bandwidth percent 5

class PRINT_SCAN

bandwidth percent xx

class class-default

fair-queue

random-detect

This would guarantee a minimum bandwidth for this traffic in case of congestion.I would also not put printing and scanning in a LLQ with a priority command like Joseph remrked.

I don't know how much bandwidth you want to set so I left it as xx and what is IPSI so I put the class command just before the class-default but don't forget that the position of the class command is important.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Disclaimer

The       Author of this posting offers the information contained within  this      posting without consideration and with the reader's  understanding   that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or  fitness for any    purpose.   Information provided is for informational  purposes only  and   should not   be construed as rendering professional  advice of any  kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely  at reader's own  risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In       no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever     (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or     profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's     information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of    such  damage.

Posting

This would guarantee a minimum bandwidth for this traffic in case of congestion.I would also not put printing and scanning in a LLQ with a priority command like Joseph remrked.

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear (although I agree you probably wouldn't want either of these traffic types in LLQ).

What I meant for printing traffic, I generally wouldn't recommend it be prioritized over any other traffic, reference the original post's "I have a customer that wants to prioritize printing . . . "  In fact, printing is the type of traffic I often like to deprioritize it.  In this instance, I would suggest leaving it in the default-class as long as that class is configured with FQ.  (With the current policy, assuming this is pre-HQF IOS, and when using class-default FQ, recommend other non-LLQ classes only be used to deprioritize.)

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The      Author of this posting offers the information contained within this      posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding   that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any    purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only  and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any  kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own  risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In      no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever    (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or    profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's    information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of   such  damage.

Posting

You're correct, you need an ACL.  The ACL would be used by a class-map's match statement (match access-group ?), which in turn would be used by a policy-map statement.

PS:

Generally, would recommend against prioritizing printer traffic.

Thanks to you both!  We will implement tomorrow.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card