Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS on a per session basis

All,

I am responsible for a the network infrastructure for a company which provides streaming television to mobile devices. For reasons concerning Radio Networks in telco environments, I am looking to limit the bandwidth available to one particular session.

Right now, we have 2 x 10Gbps link to the outside world and thousands of clients connect to our HTTP streaming infrastructure. What I would like to know is two fold.

1. Is it possible to limit the bandwidth for every users session, i.e limit based on new session for matching  src network, dest network:80 to say 1Mbps?

2. If it is possible, which Cisco hardware/software is capable of such a feat?

Cheers,

Conor

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Conor,

Yes, you can limit the bandwidth on per session basis using microflow policing; it is supported on 4500 sup V 10G and 6500 sup 32/sup 720.

HTH,

Lei Tian

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Conor,

Yes, you can limit the bandwidth on per session basis using microflow policing; it is supported on 4500 sup V 10G and 6500 sup 32/sup 720.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Hi Lei Tian,

Thanks for the info. Luckily, we do have 6509 with a 720 supervisor. I've read a doc from Cisco on how it works and it might just do the trick. I'm a bit worried about our customers complaining about dropped packets and TCP retranmissions, but it then again, I can't think of how else you would do it.

Cheers,

Conor

Hi Conor,

Thanks for the great rating.

When you configure the policing, you will have option to either drop or remark the out-of-profile traffic. If you don't want drop the out of profile traffic, be more polite, you can remark the traffic to best effort class. Then you can configure the QoS to assign best effort class lower bandwidth. So when there is no congestion, out of profile traffic will be forward without restriction; when there is congestion, out of profile will be put in queue and dropped.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card