Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about SLA responder: ENSARI study question

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

Studying for the ensari eam,  one of the questions in the book is:

In which of the following situations would you require an IP SLA responder?
a. Testing one-way delay for voice packets
b. Testing connectivity for a fl oating static route
c. Testing connectivity for First-Hop Resiliency Protocol
d. Testing round-trip time with an ICMP echo

The answer is a, however i thought it was d, as i thought the echo may have needed a responder.

Could someone elaborate as to why a is the answer?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

IP SLA responder is a component of Cisco IOS/IOS XE. It is a functionality for special measurements or protocols that need a specific processing on the destination device. Measuring one-way delay for voice packets would be such an application because you cannot just send voice packets to an arbitrary host - if there is no software receiving and processing those packets, they will be discarded without processing.

ICMP echo - or ping - is a basic functionality implemented in every TCP/IP driver. Every device supporting IP supports pings, so you do not need a special software for that.

The documentation and some in-depth discussion on IP SLA Responder functionality can be found here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipsla/configuration/xe-16-12/sla-xe-16-12-book/sla-overview.html#GUID-C2E58A98-D907-4EF2-949B-0AD59FD3D4D4

Once again, an IP SLA Responder is not just any device that will respond to SLA probes (such as pings) - rather, it is a Cisco device running IOS or IOS XE that allows more specialized measurements than just the ones using the simple and ubiquitous mechanisms.

Please feel free to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

IP SLA responder is a component of Cisco IOS/IOS XE. It is a functionality for special measurements or protocols that need a specific processing on the destination device. Measuring one-way delay for voice packets would be such an application because you cannot just send voice packets to an arbitrary host - if there is no software receiving and processing those packets, they will be discarded without processing.

ICMP echo - or ping - is a basic functionality implemented in every TCP/IP driver. Every device supporting IP supports pings, so you do not need a special software for that.

The documentation and some in-depth discussion on IP SLA Responder functionality can be found here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipsla/configuration/xe-16-12/sla-xe-16-12-book/sla-overview.html#GUID-C2E58A98-D907-4EF2-949B-0AD59FD3D4D4

Once again, an IP SLA Responder is not just any device that will respond to SLA probes (such as pings) - rather, it is a Cisco device running IOS or IOS XE that allows more specialized measurements than just the ones using the simple and ubiquitous mechanisms.

Please feel free to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

Thanks, I will be adding the link to the white-papers I will be reading later

one-way delay

This I think trick' 

So yes I think answer is A

please check below 

Thanks

You so so welcome' I will try run lab' hope ntp this time work and show you how delay measures in responder.

@hfakoor222  for you Friend and all see post 
as I mention and check some icmp or other (jiiter and delay) need ip sla responder 
the responder is send timestamp to sender and sender calculate the delay.  (this timestamp not send when we use icmp-ech)
check the wiresharke capture 
if you want lab just ask and I will share here. 
by the way finally NTP work LOL...
have a nice summer 
MHM

Screenshot (1019).pngScreenshot (1020).png

Thanks, helped clear some things up  

You are so welcome.

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card