cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on Cisco 891 router 10/100 BASE-T Fast Ethernet WAN port used to connect speeds 150 download and 150 upload

zerocool12
Level 1
Level 1

To anyone I have a Cisco Router and the 10/100 BASE-T Fast Ethernet WAN port is currently connected to ethernet cable down to the ISP raiser closet. The current speed is 100 download and 100 upload. 

If I increase the bandwidth speed from our ISP to 150 down and 150 upload will I still be able to use the 10/100 Base-T Fast Ethernet WAN port to get the benifit of the speed increase or do I need to use the 1000 BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet WAN port instead. 
I have a ethernet cable coming out of the one of the ports 10/100 Fast Ethernet on the Cisco 891 router connected to the a 48 port 10/100 switch.

which I have laptops connected to the 48 port switch. Will there be any issues of laptops connected to the 48 port switch to benifit from the speed increase.

Thank you

6 Replies 6

You will never get 150 down and 150 up over a 10/100 BASE-T.

If your ISP does "speed auto" then your interface will be up, but will operate only 100 down and 100 up maximum.

I see so even if I switch over to use the Gigabit WAN port, but since my switch is a 48 port 10/100 and its connected to the 10/100 port on the Cisco Router it won't get the 150 down and up.

So unless the switch is a gigabit switch and the extra ports on the router are gigbit ports then it should work.

If you want to utilise 150Mbps of speed then you should have Gig ports at router as well as in-between the connetivity of router and switch. This means on switch at least 1 gig port is required which will connect to router's gig port and router also should have at least 2 gig ports, one for WAN and other for switch connectivity. Then only switch will be able to pass traffic of more than 100Mbps to-and-from the router.

thanks Vivek for the info.

Make sense now.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Vivek has already noted, you'll never get 150 Mbps on a (single) 100 Mbps link.  However, I also wanted to mention, an 891 isn't really suitable to 100 Mbps.  (NB: Cisco recommends the 89x for up to 15 Mbps.)

Cisco routers often don't have the capacity to run their ports as the full bandwidth, sustained.  I.e. just don't buy a router with gig ports and assume it can handle gig throughput, or even 150 Mbps.

rosaho
Level 3
Level 3

Posts in this discussion have been modified due to possible misconduct. Please refer to the CSC terms of use for more details. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card