cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"do write memory" from config mode gone

will
Level 3
Level 3

I cannot commit changes using the "do write memory" command from newer IOS. what happened? Any way to turn this back on?

tia, will

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What version of IOS? I know with NX-OS, the command is not available but it should work with IOS.

Did you get an error? Can you type write memory in exec mode, not config mode?

here is IOS: c3900e-universalk9-mz.SPA.151-4.M2.bin, cisco 3925 router.

I have noticed this on some other devices as well, but cannot remember the IOS now. I _CAN_ do the write memory from regular exec mode. just have to exit out of config to do it. Seems like I read that this was some sort of safety feature cisco thought was important, and was adding it in. its kind of annoying though.

The "do write memory" won't work with Sup720.  Not sure about the Sup32 or Sup2T.

This will work with the 2960, 3560, 3750 switches.

I have a 2900 series that I noticed this on. Wr mem works from exec mode, but the "do" command is gone for that function. "Do sh run" works, so the do command is still there, just not for saving the config.

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

The IOS is working as expected, per the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_d1.html#wp1015951

You cannot use the do command to execute the configure terminal command because entering the configure terminal command changes the user EXEC mode or privileged EXEC mode to the global configuration mode.

You cannot use the do command to execute copy or write commands in the global configuration or any other configuration mode or submode.

Thx edison, I looked at your reference, and have snipped it out for review by others. Somebody is confused: me, the cisco tech writers or the cisco dev guys; the TIP below mentions this is a useful command for saving the config without having to go back into EXEC mode (exactly what i want to do), but then a few lines later, it says you cannot use it with the "copy" or "write" command in global config mode.

anyway, i decided to test: "do copy run star", which does work. I just need to train myself to use this command from config mode - instead of "copy wr mem" - until cisco clears up their confusion and removes this feature - please dont!

makes me feel good knowing cisco is probably confused as well. cisco dev guys => change the feature back to the way it was before, please!

=============================================

Usage Guidelines

Use this command to execute user EXEC or privileged EXEC commands (such as show, clear, and debug commands) while configuring your routing device. After the EXEC command is executed, the system will return to the configuration mode you were using.

Tip This command can be useful for saving your configuration to the startup-config file without having to return to the user EXEC mode or privileged EXEC mode (do copy running-config startup-config) or for checking the status of a feature (using a do show command) while configuring the feature.

Caution Do not enter the do command in user EXEC mode or privileged EXEC mode. Interruption of service might occur.

You cannot use the do command to execute the configure terminal command because entering the configure terminal command changes the user EXEC mode or privileged EXEC mode to the global configuration mode.

You cannot use the do command to execute copy or write commands in the global configuration or any other configuration mode or submode.

HI

write memory was an old IOS11 command and does not require a confirmation. copy run start is the 'correct' way in IOS12+ but does require confirmation.

I use wri mem and have found Cisco have started to depricate this command (understandaly - they have not trained people to use it in 10+ years). So for boxes that do not support it I created a macro to translate wri mem to copy run start.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card