Views
Helpful
Replies

"FPGA Critical Error" on Cisco Router

Dlaport
Level 1
Level 1

HI

I was wondering if anyone had more information on this error that i have been seeing on a few 1941 ISR's:

%EHWIC_CELL_MSG-1-FPGA_CRITICAL_ERROR: FPGA Critical Error: EHWIC GDF to KWD Read Timeout Err Event, HWIC slot 0 

•  Does it indicate a dying Router, a dying 4G module or both?
  • Is there anyway to recover for it?

Thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Dlaport ,

the reported error message:

>>

EHWIC_CELL_MSG-1-FPGA_CRITICAL_ERROR: FPGA Critical Error: EHWIC GDF to KWD Read Timeout Err Event, HWIC slot 0

this error refers to the HWIC 4G module and it reports a read timeout in the FPGA.

You have  written that more then one Cisco 1941 shows this error.

I have made a bug search for this error using the initial part of the message and I didn't find anything.

You can try to extract and reseat the EHWIC module if there is someone on site that can do this for you.

is the cell interface still working properly on the router ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi @Giuseppe Larosa 

Thanks for the reply

I tried re-seating the 4G module, it worked fine for a bit but then the error messages returned a while later and the cellular interface went down shortly after.

I then tried moving the 4G module to another slot and the same thing happened (It worked fine for a few hours, but then the error messages returned and and the interface went down again)

This has happened in the past, to another Router, and the fix was to get a new Router (reseating the 4G module, moving the module to another slot and completely replacing the 4G module didnt help that time)

From my past experience, the error message seems to indicating something wrong with the Router, but i just wanted to get some clarification

Hello @Dlaport ,

the error message by itself would lead to changing the EHWIC 4G module but your past experience is that the resolution was to change the router.

Before doing that you could also try to use a different IOS image version on the router.

Sometimes issues with service modules or HWIC are version dependent.

In your case you can also consider a downgrade if you have made a recent upgrade.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

bbb bbb
Level 1
Level 1

Dear @Dlaport ,

Just wondering In terms of LAN/internet connectivity, do you encounter any issue even if this message shows up?

May need to check software version information of ISR router for a possibility of an upgrade that may address the log message.

If ever you still have a support contract then it is also good to escalate to tac.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/eos-eol-notice-c51-740520.html

Happy to Help : ]

Best regards,

Dlaport
Level 1
Level 1

@Giuseppe Larosa 

I did consider changing firmware, but since the 1941 Routers are End of Support, and we dont have a valid support contract anyway, i didn't know where to get the newer firmware from.

@bbb bbb 

WAN connectivity drops shortly after the error messages pop up, because the Cellular interface goes into a down/down state. Unfortunately i cant escalate to TAC for because i dont have a valid support contract.

Dear @Dlaport 

Just wondering, what are things common to those routers experiencing the error (ex: environment, temperature, ios version, etc..  ) compared to routers that does not experience the error..? I hope the issue you have affects only in a small network. 

And since device is end of support.., may need to consider a plan on moving to a new solution (ex: obtaining a separate portable 4G/5G device which includes ethernet ports, SD-WAN solution).

Learned something new about the message log you sent especially for the term "FPGA" and with hint from @Giuseppe Larosa.

: ]

Best regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card