cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Receiving FCS-Err on Cisco catalyst 6500

sharma.advait
Level 1
Level 1

When I am checking Sh Port on Cisco Catalyst 6500 I am getting FCS-Err 18360 on port 3/1.

Port 3/1 is connected with another Catalyst 6500 through single mode fiber on another location.

I am facing ping break issues and slow network complains from user.

2 Replies 2

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

This is typically a physical issue (such as cabling, a bad port, or a bad Network Interface Card (NIC)) but can also indicate a duplex mismatch.

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts.

rajatsetia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When operating at full-duplex, FCS, cyclic redundancy checks (CRC), alignment errors, and runt counters should be minimal. If the link is operating at full-duplex, the collision
counter is not active. If the FCS, CRC, alignment, or runt counters are incrementing, check for a duplex mismatch. Duplex mismatch is a situation in which the switch is
operating at full-duplex and the connected device is operating at half-duplex, or the other way around. The result of a duplex mismatch is extremely slow performance,
intermittent connectivity, and loss of connection. Other possible causes of data link errors at full-duplex are bad cables, a faulty switch port, or NIC software or hardware
issues.

Documentation:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008
015bfd6.shtml

FCS is layer 1 issues and few general causes are

- Mismatch of SFP type on both ends

- Dirty fiber connector or SFP

- Faulty termination of fiber

- Mismatch in cable type i.e. patch cable is different from optical fiber running between patch panels

- Mismatch of duplex

Troubleshooting

- try switchport nonegotiate

- hardcode the duplex setting to full

- try using different SFP or switch ports

- use optical TDR to test the end to end connectivtiy

Hope it helps

Kind Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card