cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy with HSRP and Frame Relay

marcelo_ca
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, I'm doing a college project about redundancy with the following topology. Frame Relay acts as backup connection between routers, and it's on standby mode. Between Routers R2 and R1 there's a HSRP working. My question is, Frame Relay is set as standby interface in R2 and R3 by checking the status of the serial interface, but on R1 if I check only f0/0 and R2 goes down, the Frame Relay connection won't come up. Are there any different solutions to implement in this case? Like checking interface IP or if packets are reaching the other router (R3)? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion.

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 10.49.52 PM.png

4 Replies 4

Hello

@marcelo_ca wrote:

. My question is, Frame Relay is set as standby interface in R2 and R3 by checking the status of the serial interface, but on R1 if I check only f0/0 and R2 goes down, the Frame Relay connection won't come up.

"if i check"  do you mean if you diisable fa0/0 on FTR1 the HRSP doesnt switch over to RTR2

Do you ahve tracking and preempt enable?

Can you elaborate on this please, and post your configuration if applicable

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for replying. My question was not clear sorry, redundancy between R1 and R2 is working normally with HSPR. The issue comes when I turn off R1, and try to reach R3 network, as the router R2 is checking for F0/0 which still connected. This is the configuration for R2. Thank you

interface FastEthernet0/0
backup interface Serial1/0
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/0.10
encapsulation dot1Q 10
ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.240
standby 1 ip 192.168.1.1
!
interface FastEthernet0/0.20
encapsulation dot1Q 20
ip address 192.168.1.19 255.255.255.240
standby 2 ip 192.168.1.17
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Serial1/0
ip address 192.168.1.42 255.255.255.248
encapsulation frame-relay
serial restart-delay 0
frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.43 203 broadcast
frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.41 201 broadcast

Hello

Humm.. this depends on you setup, I see all rtrs connecting to your FR switch and also rtr2/3 connecting to Rtr1.

Unless your FR switch is performing as the HUB between these 3 rtrs(spokes) then you will lose connectivity., As I dont see any static or dyanmic routing being applied can you confirm please?

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks for helping Paul. I'm implementing OSPF lately for the routes. FR must be used only as a backup connection. There's no direct connection between R1 and R2, they are working as a HSRP group using the switches. So when I remove the direct link between R1 and R3 for example, both routers automatically switch to FR connection. If I shutdown R1, R2 becomes the active HSPR router, but it won't switch to FR connection, so it could reach R3. This is what I need. Is there any other way of using a standby interface in this case? Or do I need to keep both interfaces active? Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card