cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant paths

killroy
Level 1
Level 1

A general question for best solution on redundecy.

I have a site that needs redundency with HQ. (See attached file.)

Have two connections, providers net and internet vpn.

Previous we used a leased line with our own router, the VPN router and HSRP between the routers.Easy....

The problem is how to "reroute" traffic if I loose connention between. HQ and site router if something hapends in the providersnet.

ospf with viritual-ling, floating routes or any other suggestions.......

5 Replies 5

albert.remo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Good Day! You can use floating static route on the VPN connection or you can run dynamic routing and adjust the metric on the VPN connection.

ip route x.x.x.x x.x.x.x x.x.x.x 100

100 being the adminstrative distance. This assumes that the router can detect failures within the service provider network.

If you are already running OSPF, just reconfigure the path cost of the VPN higher to that of the Provider Network path.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Albert

Hi

Yes thats the problem I dont know what happens in my Serviceproviders network.

The routing only acts if the diectly connected interface goes down. And there is a lot that can happen on the way to my remote site. And I want to be able to reroute if I dont have connection to the remote site

Hi!

I see, I think you should discuss this with your service provider. You should know if your link is either overlay (meaning a specific path was defined through their network) or Peer-to-peer (meaning your route peers with the providers route). The later should provide a reroute path for your traffic during failure.

Eitherway, if this is the case, I believe OSPF will be able to reroute traffic through the VPN link on the event that the Provider network fails on whatever cause. Just reconfigure a higher cost for the VPN link for the OSPF to see it as the backup link.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Albert

And if I dont get access to their routing tabels. Whatwould be the best solotion???

Have you thought about using HSRP, with tracking ?

you can fine tune failover to milliseconds.

It sseems like the best solution here, so you dont have to worry about fine tuning IGPs etc...

yoy can also use GLBP to load balance and utilise both links effeciently.

HTH

Sam

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card