Views
Helpful
Replies

reliable routing eigrp

Istvan kelemen
Level 1
Level 1

Hey!

How do i force eigrp to prefer serial interface instead of fastethernet?

The topology is the following

fa0/0    --------    fa0/0 - R2 - fa1/0 --------    fa0/0

R1                                                                          R4

s1/0    ---------    s0/0 - R4 - fa1/0 --------     fa1/0

So i would prefer to go through s1/0

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Istvan,

Use a high delay setting on the FastEthernet0/0 interface on R1. Because EIGRP takes, by default, bandwidth and delay components into account when computing the composite metric, increasing the delay will make the metric higher and thus less preferred. For example, set the delay to 1000000 (one million):

interface FastEthernet0/0

delay 1000000

After changing the delay, wait approximately 10 seconds for EIGRP to reflect on the changed delay.

Do not change the bandwidth setting to influence EIGRP metrics. The bandwidth command should always express the realistic bandwidth of the interface.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Istvan,

Use a high delay setting on the FastEthernet0/0 interface on R1. Because EIGRP takes, by default, bandwidth and delay components into account when computing the composite metric, increasing the delay will make the metric higher and thus less preferred. For example, set the delay to 1000000 (one million):

interface FastEthernet0/0

delay 1000000

After changing the delay, wait approximately 10 seconds for EIGRP to reflect on the changed delay.

Do not change the bandwidth setting to influence EIGRP metrics. The bandwidth command should always express the realistic bandwidth of the interface.

Best regards,

Peter

thank you!

i've already tried it before, but i did not wait 10 second, so i couldn't see that metric has changed

thank you for 100% correct answer!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card