Views
Helpful
Replies

Repetition of Host in Trace result

Avi Dadush
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently had an issue accessing a website (hosted on the internet), everything other site works ok. Investigating this with the hosting company, we discovered that trace from hosting company to my edge device shows repetition of the last hop ip (see extract below), hops 11-16 is the same device ip. Thinking this might be device related i replaced this, but yet i still see this anomaly. I strongly believe that this may be the cause of the issue i am having with access this website, as from other networks using different providers all works ok.

Has anyone experienced this, kindly share what this means and how to resolve

Many Thanks

AL

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello.

If you are talking about public IP-addresses and you see a single hop appearing a couple of times (consequently), this indicates static/full NAT translation (that could be normal for edge address).

If I were you, I would be concerned of huge latency (1000 + ms is not acceptable).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello.

If you are talking about public IP-addresses and you see a single hop appearing a couple of times (consequently), this indicates static/full NAT translation (that could be normal for edge address).

If I were you, I would be concerned of huge latency (1000 + ms is not acceptable).

Hi Vasilii,

Thank you for your response, it probably isn't NAT related as this device does not handle NAT in this case. I am aware of the response time, but particularly strange is the reason that i mentioned before about the occurrence of the host multiple time, i believe pointer to the root cause will also reveal the excessively high latency.

Thanks again.

AL

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card