Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacement for cisco 3660 router

egain.com
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i want to replace cisco 3660 router with cisco 2851 router.. want to know if that is the right choice.

This router is a border router with BGP running, average traffic is about 5 mbps both side, it is also running HSRP with other 3660 .The cpu usage is about 3 percent.

I do not need any voice or vpn feature, but i want to configure intrusion prevention feature with firewall IOS..(if advisable)

Please someone comment on this and/or suggest other alternative.

thanks

regards

RAkesh

======

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Rakesh,

Both are powerful routers, but one factor you need to take into consideration is scalability. 2851s have only one NM slot, while the 3660 has 6 slots. You will not be able to terminate a full DS3 on a 2851. (Sub rates are fine). For Intrusion Prevention, you can use the NM-HIDS, but you will use up the only slot on the 2851. I would suggest moving towards the 3800s instead if you want options for expansion.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks Sankarn for the reply. Want to know how good is Intrusion prevention feature buit with NM-HIDS. And do u recomend to have it on border router? Is it possible to have additional ethernet port (i need total 3) and NM-HIDS ?

thanks once again

regards

Rakesh

======

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card