Helpful
Replies

Right To Use license

valya.cello
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, friends!

I am confused about Cisco license.

What does it mean: License: RightToUse , State: Active, In Use?

More detail about the question:

I faced licensing for the first time.

For example, I have ipbasek9 and securityk9 licenses.

ipbasek9

Period left: Life time

License Type: Permanent

License State: Active, In Use

securityk9:

Period left: Life time

License Type: RightToUse

License State: Active, In Use

On Cisco I found this: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/3e/consolidated_guide/configuration_guide/b_consolidated_3650_3se_cg/b_consolidated_3650_3se_cg_chapter_01011011.pdf

Active, Not In Use – «EULA was accepted and the switch is ready to use when the license is enabled.»

Do I have to reboot my device  to activate the securityk9 functionality?

As I see, ipbasek9 also have state: «Active, In Use». The router is working and do routing.

Does this functional also work not correct without reboot?

I read that:

"Right to Use Feature Licenses

These licenses follow the traditional licensing model and do not use Cisco Software Activation. They can be ordered when the router is initially purchased or at a later date. A Right to Use license scheme is an honor-based model for licensing. Licenses are not tied to an unique device identifier (UDI), product ID, or serial number."

"

• A Right to Use license scheme is an honor-based licensing model (doesn't mean FREE).
  • Licenses are not tied to an unique device identifier (UDI), product ID, or serial number."

As I understand, RightToUse is paid. And if it has «Evaluation» word  - it has an expiration date of and it is free.

Please help.

Thank you.

Velly

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

right to use means you can legally enable the license IF you have purchased such a license (you have the right to use it)
if you do not have paid for the license you are still allowed to enable and use it for the evaluation period (you have the right for evaluation)
if you have enabled it  and use it beyond the evaluation period , you have a legal issue (you do not have the right to use it)
that is where the EULA comes in, you declare you have the right to use or you are evaluating the license

the permanent license is "attached to the device" and cannot be transferred to another device
the right to use license you can deactivate on this device and activate on another device

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

pieterh
VIP
VIP

right to use means you can legally enable the license IF you have purchased such a license (you have the right to use it)
if you do not have paid for the license you are still allowed to enable and use it for the evaluation period (you have the right for evaluation)
if you have enabled it  and use it beyond the evaluation period , you have a legal issue (you do not have the right to use it)
that is where the EULA comes in, you declare you have the right to use or you are evaluating the license

the permanent license is "attached to the device" and cannot be transferred to another device
the right to use license you can deactivate on this device and activate on another device

valya.cello
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card