Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIPv2 Configuration: How to advertise inner LAN

Dear All,

I am currently studying for the CCENT exam (the last chance before the exam version expires this weekend).

I am working on this little project of mine for personal and also studying reason (to memorize commands that I may be tested on and such). Right now, I am in a bit of pickle.

I want to advertise my 192.168.0.0 networks from R1 to the R4. I setup RIPv2. All the routers have the routes for the serial network, 10.0.0.0.

I also put in the command "network 192.168.0.0" for all routers except for R3 (to avoid confusion). My goal is for the Engineering dept to communicate the Engineering-LA dept. Later on, I want to setup ACLs, so that each network can allow or disallow what certain type of traffic comes in.

I know that it takes some times for RIPv2 to update the routing table, but it seems like it is not advertising the 192.168.0.0 networks. I can setup a static route temporarily, but I want to use RIPv2 (and maybe later, make a new file with same exact topology, but with OSPF instead). I would like to know if I did something wrong or that I am missing something. I confirmed that my R1 can ping the next hop routers and all the way to R4.

I attached a zip folder that contains text file for all routers' configurations and the Packet Tracer file. You will need to have the latest version of Packet Tracer to open it. Also, keep in mind that my R1, R2, and R3 have both the enable secret and line con 0 passwords. They are the same and they are written in the small textbox next to each of the said router.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

when you advertise 192.168.0.0, you effectively advertise 192.168.0.0/24. I have changed the networks announced to the ones that are actually configured on the routers, find the revised file atttached...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

when you advertise 192.168.0.0, you effectively advertise 192.168.0.0/24. I have changed the networks announced to the ones that are actually configured on the routers, find the revised file atttached...

Thank you for the help.

Just a question; so next time, I would need to advertise the exact network I am doing. I thought by typing in "network 192.168.0.0", it would advertise auto summarize, but I think I need to do that in an interface mode. I will try testing it with my other network and see what would happen.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card