cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 892FSP subinterfaces

npranger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,  I attempting to configure a 892FSP for a router on a stick interface situation.  I want a network with staff wifi Vlan, guest wifi vlan, management vlan, and a native vlan.  I think i understand setting up the trunks with the 1 switch and multiple APs, but I can not understand the correct syntax CLI for this router to create the vlans and subinterface.  I was tasked to help this church out.  Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

npranger
Level 1
Level 1

I cannot successfully get the subinterface configured. I use the following syntax;

Config# Interface g1
Config-if# no shutdown
Config-if# exit
Config# interface g1.10

This command fails.  Any help would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

Can you post show version output to check the feature available :

or you can try below 

interface GigabitEthernet0/2
 no ip address
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 port-tagging
  encapsulation dot1q 10
  set cos 6
  exit
end
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2.1101
encapsulation dot1Q 100 
ip address 132.1.101.4 255.255.255.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2.1102
encapsulation dot1Q 100
ip address 132.1.102.4 255.255.255.0
!

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/software/configuration/guide/SCG800Guide/SCG800_Guide_BookMap_chapter_010110.html?bookSearch=true

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cannot say for sure, without getting much deeper into the specifics of the 892FSP ISR, but some possibilities that can arise include:  subinterfaces not supported on that particular (kind) of gig interface (especially in the LAN switch port bank), or feature set doesn't support (that particular 800 ISR is a "High Performance Security" variant), or your particular IOS version (which is?) doesn't support subinterfaces (interestingly, looking at release notes for a couple of 15.x trains, noticed some known bugs concerning using subinterfaces - bugs bad, but at least mention of subinterfaces implies feature exists), etc.

Good!  Glad to read you're having more success with a 2911 (which, I recall, has more capacity than a 89x, too).

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello, thank you for your input. I will study the document.

npranger
Level 1
Level 1

I cannot successfully get the subinterface configured. I use the following syntax;

Config# Interface g1
Config-if# no shutdown
Config-if# exit
Config# interface g1.10

This command fails.  Any help would be appreciated.

Can you post show version output to check the feature available :

or you can try below 

interface GigabitEthernet0/2
 no ip address
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 port-tagging
  encapsulation dot1q 10
  set cos 6
  exit
end
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2.1101
encapsulation dot1Q 100 
ip address 132.1.101.4 255.255.255.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2.1102
encapsulation dot1Q 100
ip address 132.1.102.4 255.255.255.0
!

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/software/configuration/guide/SCG800Guide/SCG800_Guide_BookMap_chapter_010110.html?bookSearch=true

BB

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cannot say for sure, without getting much deeper into the specifics of the 892FSP ISR, but some possibilities that can arise include:  subinterfaces not supported on that particular (kind) of gig interface (especially in the LAN switch port bank), or feature set doesn't support (that particular 800 ISR is a "High Performance Security" variant), or your particular IOS version (which is?) doesn't support subinterfaces (interestingly, looking at release notes for a couple of 15.x trains, noticed some known bugs concerning using subinterfaces - bugs bad, but at least mention of subinterfaces implies feature exists), etc.

Thanks for your advice.  I appreciated your effort.  I ditched the 892 router.  I found a cheap 2911 router. Configuration is going much easier now. 

Sure what ever works for you is easy ..if you can buy another router that works for you.

BB

Good!  Glad to read you're having more success with a 2911 (which, I recall, has more capacity than a 89x, too).

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

". . . I can not understand the correct syntax CLI for this router to create the vlans and subinterfaces."

(For subinterfaces, only found mention when using with ATM [DSL].)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card