cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Cisco 184 issue, Please Help Me !!

bennyws03
Level 1
Level 1

System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.
PLD version 0x10
GIO ASIC version 0x127
c1841 platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

Readonly ROMMON initialized
program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0xcb80
program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0xcb80

program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0x1602220
Self decompressing the image : ###################################################################################################################### [OK]

Smart Init is enabled
smart init is sizing iomem
ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE
0X003AA110 public buffer pools
0X00211000 public particle pools
0X000021B8 Onboard USB

If any of the above Memory Requirements are
"UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported
configuration or there is a software problem and
system operation may be compromised.

Allocating additional 6847576 bytes to IO Memory.
PMem allocated: 118489088 bytes; IOMem allocated: 15728640 bytes

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Drive
San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(15)T11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 28-Oct-09 17:52 by prod_rel_team
Image text-base: 0x60086DA0, data-base: 0x619039C0

Cisco 1841 (revision 7.0) with 115712K/15360K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX152883M9
2 FastEthernet interfaces
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
191K bytes of NVRAM.
62720K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

after that keyboard doesnt work,i am not able to enter either yes or no from keyboard.Please help to troubleshoot this issue.

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Keyboard not working is a fault with the settings of the console port, particularly the Flow Control.

Bits per sec : 9600
Data bits : 8
Parity : none
Stop bits : 1
Flow control : none

Thanks Leo for your answer,

I've done it exactly like that, I have replaced the console cable, but it still didn't work.

May be due to bad USB to Serial cable, have you tried different program like secure CRT, if that works ?

2 Options :

1. Try Secure CRT is that work, than it is putty issue.

2. Try same cable different devices with same putty if that works ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for your answer BB

1. I have tried using securecrt, but the results remain the same.
2. I have also used the same cable for different devices, the cable works.

3. I also cannot get into ROMMON, with the CTRL + Break command (no response)

is there a way to reset the hardware with a jumper?

Hello

Just to confirm you are connecting via console port and not the AUX port ?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

thanks paul driver

I'm sure it's connected to a console port,

is there a way to reset the hardware with a jumper?

This is not PC mother board to reset jumper available, and cisco loose warranty if you open the box.

The reset is the only way from Console, make sure you fix the console issue to proceed next.

Are you sure you testing the cable, can you post the picture of the cable you used ?

BB

thanks balaji.bandi

I have 4 routers that have the same series, and I have tried the same console cable. all works well.

there is only one router that has a problem.

I am very confused

Hello

If you are using the console port then do try the AUX port also, Its was really for OOB mgt via a modem  but it can be used for console connectivity, you may find you wont get no output until your device has reloaded but it should work with a console cable.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

It seems to me that there are several points to consider:

- it is important to know that this PC, its serial/usb connection, its putty configuration, and its cable work on other devices.

- if we are seeing the messages of the boot process then we are connected to console and not to aux. In my experience the aux does not see any messages until the boot process is completed.

- if we are seeing the initial config dialog then either there is no startup config or the config register is set to 0x2142. The boot process will not complete (aux will not work) until there is some response (preferably no) to the dialog prompt.

I wonder if it would be possible to power cycle the router, break into rommon, and determine the setting of the config register? (this would also be a demonstration that the console cable does work).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks for your answer richard burts

I have tried connecting to the aux port, but there isn't any display. This is because there isn't any configuration stored on the router. router in the default setting.
I don't know what to do, the router doesn't respond to any input from the keyboard.

This is a bit confusing. You tell us that this usb converter and console cable do work on other Cisco routers. So I believe that it is not an issue with the cable. I have seen issues where a router would not accept input from the console connection, but that was when the console was configured with "no exec". Since you are getting the initial config dialogue prompt we can assume that there is no existing config and so the console can not be configured with no exec. 

If you power cycle the router are you able to break in at the start of the boot process and get into rommon? If so does the router accept input? If so can we determine the setting of the config register - or set the config register to 0x2102?

Another possibility to try is to set your terminal emulator to a very low speed - like 300. This produces a mismatch with the physical console speed and sometimes the router will interpret what it is receiving as a carriage return. I wonder how your router would react to that.

The other possibility that we should consider is that this router may have a hardware issue on the console port that is preventing the router from receiving input on the console.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks paul

I have tried it, but there isn't any display, maybe because there isn't any configuration in the router. like a router access password.

:'(

oh you mean to say, have you tried yes or no after that, it is not taking any key inputs. as suggest we need to suspect 2 things,

test console cable, test same cable working other device. use other tool putty/secure crt make sure u have setup the console port settings properly.

BB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card