Helpful
Replies

Router map

s.kanth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I've gone through the below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008047915d.shtml

There is a statement in the doc..that

"Route maps are always applied for inbound traffic, and the route-map does not have any effect on the outbound traffic."

As per my understanding we can apply route-map in input and outboutn direction to manupulate routes as per out requirement.. But in the above state , route map does not have any effect on the outbount traffice..

Can you guys please explain me about that statement..or are I missing something.. please correct me..

Thanks

Sri

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kanth,

your understanding is correct but the doc is not talking about route-maps as technique only but as applied to redistributing routing protocols. When you redistribute a protocol you can manipulate only the routes that you inject IN your domain and not the ones going out your domain for the simple reason that another redistribution has to coccur in order to communicate with the other protocol.

So for example

route-map RIP_TO_EIGRP will be on a EIGRP domain border router and (logically) EIGRP_TO_RIP will be on a RIP domain border router. Of course these two processes can be on the same physical router but without injecting route from one domain into another, i am afraid that very few manipulations can be done.

Hope it helps

Alessio

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi Kanth,

your understanding is correct but the doc is not talking about route-maps as technique only but as applied to redistributing routing protocols. When you redistribute a protocol you can manipulate only the routes that you inject IN your domain and not the ones going out your domain for the simple reason that another redistribution has to coccur in order to communicate with the other protocol.

So for example

route-map RIP_TO_EIGRP will be on a EIGRP domain border router and (logically) EIGRP_TO_RIP will be on a RIP domain border router. Of course these two processes can be on the same physical router but without injecting route from one domain into another, i am afraid that very few manipulations can be done.

Hope it helps

Alessio

Got it. Thanks Alessio

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card