cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router selection

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

i want to purchase 1 router for my company. i have 200 network nodes and 4 2960 switches . which series of router is good for me..????

---

Posted by WebUser Fasil Moothedath

12 Replies 12

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That depends primarly by speed of Intenet circuit you will be using.

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

i want 2 MB speed

---

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

2 MB speeed

---

Look at a Cisco 2900. It's not the most powerful router in the router, but you're only looking for 2MB speed, and since you only have around 4 switches, it will be more than enough to allow for growth.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10537/index.html

For 2M

1800 or 2900 works, unless you want some other features now or in the future you may need to check each Datasheet

HTH

Hi,

I would suggest a 2911 router works for you.

All onboard WAN ports are 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet WAN routed ports.

It have high-speed WAN interface card (HWIC) slots while provide maximum investment protection by natively supporting HWICs, WAN interface cards

The Cisco 2911 ISR is highly modular platforms with several types of module slots to add connectivity and services for varied branch-office network requirements.

See the below link for datasheet as well specifications.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10537/data_sheet_c78_553896.html

Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

thnanks to all

---

Hi,

Hope you got the correct advices.

Please remember to rate all the helpfull posts whcih encourage others throughout this great CSC program.

Please rate all the helpfull posts.

Regards,

Naidu.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For just 2 Mbps, another possible router option might be a 800 series router.

If you expect to route between VLANs within your LAN, most software based routers are not LAN wire-speed routing capable.  For such, you'll want a L3 switch.  (Some of the later 2960s, I believe, support very basic routing).

If you have need for both LAN and WAN routing, often you'll want both a L3 switch, for speed, and WAN router, for features.  (WAN routers tend to provide many additional features often not available on L3 switches, for example, for an Internet connection you might want VPN, NAT and firewall capabilities, etc.)

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

how can i manage my employees internet usage by using cisco 2960 swwwwswitch

---

how can i  manage my employees internet usage by using cisco 2960 swwwwswitch 

you can't.

agree with leo

- consider of setting up additional server within your network and configure that to run as proxy. That will help you to manage users browsing internet partially without bying additional switches/routers.

Nik

HTH,
Niko
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card