Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Switching Performance in Packets Per Second (PPS) : ISR 4431 and 4431

CSCO11976763
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In this document, I am able to find the Routing Performance for all routeurs except ISR 4000 series.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

I would like to know what is the Router Switching Performance in Packets Per Second (PPS) and Mbps for ISR 4431 and 4431 routers. 

Fast/CEF Switching : PPS and Mbps 

Anybody had a documents or information about this ?

Regards,

Nurul Kabir KHAN

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I've not been able to find anything beyond a bandwidth capacity rating, such as 500 Mbps upgradable to 1 Gbps for the 4431.

I did find http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/enterprise-routing-portfolio-poster.pdf?mdfid=283967372

The point of interest for the foregoing, is the performance listings for the 800 series routers.  Assuming their bandwidth performances ratings are using a similar performance methodology for all the routers, we can look at whitepapers, like the attached, and presume the 4000 series bandwidths are a total aggregate for typical traffic with most typical "WAN" features enabled.  I.e. presume 500/1,000 Mbps is maximum recommended aggregate bandwidth usage with typical "WAN" traffic and typical "WAN" features.

PS:

Documents like: http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf can be very easily misunderstood when trying to predict real-world performance.  I suspect Cisco's latest bandwidth recommendations are trying to provide an easy to understand values for sizing routers for typical usage.

The attachment shows how feature usage, and traffic content, impacts ISR performance, which is why the older document can so easily mislead.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your ansewer. I really need this information in order to know how my router will behave in production environnement.

Thanks.

Regards,

Nurul

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For a production environment, you should be able to "safely" count on pushing 500 Mbps through a basic 4431 or pushing 1 Gbps through a performance upgraded 4431.

I'm unsure how, even if you can find it, helpful a PPS, as defined like in http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf, is really going to help you much as it really tells so little.  For precise performance, you need to benchmark, like what was done for the whitepaper I provided.  Without that, Cisco's (performance) bandwidth capacity is a good generalization.

If you want an estimate of PPS, just work backwards, for example, 1 Gbps equals 1.488 Mpps for minimum size Ethernet packets.

Again, without detailed benchmarks, performance sheets, like the old router performance sheets can be very misleading.  If you carefully study the whitepaper I provided, you'll find many example performance is non-linear.  I.e. knowing one PPS rate, for one packet size, for just packet forwarding can be far, far off from actual performance with live traffic and live feature usage.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your answer. 

voquocthao
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

Can you help me get document with Router 4331 showup  Switching Performance in Packets Per Second (PPS)

Thanks and best regards

Yes and no.

Since I wrote my replies, above, Cisco still documents 4K ISRs using their bandwidth capacity. Unlike the earlier ISRs, 4Ks set internal bandwidth caps so as to try to always guarantee that much bandwidth regardless of the device's configuration or the traffic passing through it. (NB: this often holds true except when dealing with crypto. For a better view of ISR 4K performance, you might want to review: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/miercom-isr4k-report.pdf.)

Assuming a 4431 will deliver its rated bandwidth, you can calculate what the PPS rate would be for various packet sizes. For example, 1.488 Mpps is for 1 Gbps of Ethernet traffic with minimal sized packets.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card