cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router to Router Vlan via ESM Module

atxparrothead
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to configure a connection b/wn 2 2821's via a ESM module. Thus far, i've configured the vlan in the vlan database as well as an interface vlan 200 with an ip of 10.10.10.1/30 and .2 respectively. I'm not able to ping .1 or .2(depending on which router i'm pinging from). What am i missing here?? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks....

18 Replies 18

So has anyone come up w/ any solution or possible work around for this?

any other help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

lgontarsk
Level 1
Level 1

Who is this swtich/router talking to and what is the config of the other router/switch? The mask being .252 wasn't expected here, so a look-see at the other end of this link would be helpful.

thanks lisa

so I bit the bullet and opened a TAC case, and luckily i Did b/c i got my issue resolved. It had nothing to do w/ my config(assummed i had everything right). So, in 1 of the 2821's, they had 2 ESM's installed. I guess come to find out, if you have 2 ESM's installed, you have to install/configure them a certain way inorder for them to work correctly. I ended up actually just talking the 2nd ESM(unused) out and have the router had a bit of a hiccup and was rebooted, I was able to now ping across my /30 network that i configured b/wn the 2 ESM router ports.

I appreciate everyones help on this. Here is some additional info i got from the TAC Engineer:

Restrictions for EtherSwitch HWICs :-

1. No more than two Ethernet Switch HWICs or network modules may be installed in a host router.

2. Multiple Ethernet Switch HWICs or network modules installed in a host router will not act independently of each other. They must be stacked, as they will not work at all otherwise.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802c6bb6.html#wp1043334

Good info, thanks for letting us know.

The way I understand it, only one module will work with the VLAN interface and the others must be connected with an external cable.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card