cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routers that support DiffServ

vtran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.  I was just wondering if anyone know which routers support this QoS protocol?  From my reading, any firmware from 12.2 should support it, but does it also depend on the router?  A representative told me only the 3900 series router or the 7200 series would support it.  From what I've been reading, I'm not so sure that that is the correct answer.  Can someone please help?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Both the 1900  and 2900 ISRs support QoS, I am positive.

You just need to make sure what other than QoS features you would like to have , for example:

1- Security -- where you need IPsec VPN for example.

2- UCC (for Voice) where you need the router to act as CME (Communication Manager Express).

The above features requires the right Software along with the right licensing as well, However, QoS diffserv is supported by the Base line Software. So its not a problem for you.

HTH

Mohamed

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

There should be no problem for the 12.2 train to support QoS diffserv approach.

what is exactly your concern?

Regards,

Mohamed

My concern is that if I buy a 1900 series or 2900 series router, it won't support DiffServ.  The rep told me that in order to support DiffServ, I need both the right firmware as well as the right hardware.

Both the 1900  and 2900 ISRs support QoS, I am positive.

You just need to make sure what other than QoS features you would like to have , for example:

1- Security -- where you need IPsec VPN for example.

2- UCC (for Voice) where you need the router to act as CME (Communication Manager Express).

The above features requires the right Software along with the right licensing as well, However, QoS diffserv is supported by the Base line Software. So its not a problem for you.

HTH

Mohamed

Beside DiffServ, the only other two features that are important to me is IGMPv3 and multicast routing (PIM-SM in particular).  I'm sure all of Cisco routers would support them.  Thank you for your help.

The rep told me that in order to support DiffServ

Sales Rep didn't come from technical background so he/she wouldn't know what's the latest going on.  The regular people who post here, however, are a different breed.  They know what's in the wild. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card