Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing performance of C9200L-24T

ngkin2010
Level 7
Level 7

Hello all,

I am planing to enable "ip routing" on C9200L with network essential license. I would like to find our the max. layer 3 throughput that supported by C9200L-24T. 

According to the data sheet, I have read the "stacking bandwidth" - 80Gbps, but I am not sure if it's also describing the layer 3 throughput (e.g. inter-vlan routing could utilize 80Gbps throughput?).

Grateful if anyone could help, thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Generally, Cisco's L3 switches L3 forwarding performance is the same as it's L2 performance.

For non-stacking, your 9200L has 24 Gig ports, and up to 4 10g ports, or a maximum of 64 Gbps. For wirespeed, this requires a fabric bandwidth of 128 Gbps and a Mpps of about 96 Mpps.

For stacking, it's unclear what the StackWise-160 provides or how it works. (For example, much of the original 3750's StackWise Cisco only explained with the release of the 3750E's StackWisePlus.)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
And what routing protocols are you planning to use?

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply!!

I am planning to run few static routes only on the C9200. No dynamic protocol will used.

ngkin2010
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

I have find information to my question. Shared in this post if someone have the same question on it.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9200-series-switches/nb-06-cat9200-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html

DescriptionSwitching capacitySwitch capacity with StackingForwarding rateForwarding rate with Stacking
C9200-24T

128 Gbps

288 Gbps

95.23 Mpps

214 Mpps

*Measured with 64 byte packets

Taking into account with the worst scenario (all Ethernet packet having size of 64 Byte + 20 Byte Ethernet overhead = 80 Bytes): 

The forwarding rate without staking would be  ( 95.23 * 10^6 ) pps * ( 84 * 8 ) bits = 63.99 Gbps

The forwarding rate with staking would be  ( 214 * 10^6 ) pps * ( 84 * 8 ) bits = 143.81 Gbps

Reference: https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/performance-throughput-of-a-switch-mpps/ta-p/3117301

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Generally, Cisco's L3 switches L3 forwarding performance is the same as it's L2 performance.

For non-stacking, your 9200L has 24 Gig ports, and up to 4 10g ports, or a maximum of 64 Gbps. For wirespeed, this requires a fabric bandwidth of 128 Gbps and a Mpps of about 96 Mpps.

For stacking, it's unclear what the StackWise-160 provides or how it works. (For example, much of the original 3750's StackWise Cisco only explained with the release of the 3750E's StackWisePlus.)

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your reply. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card