cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing/switching question

Cory Roulette
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup a test routing & switching scenario. We are wanting to change our routing for the organaization to just use bgp at the routers

with no igp running any where.

We have 2 differnet isp's and 2 routers

we are currently running 2 4900 switches at the core.

So here is what I want to do.

I want to be able to separate the traffic going over the links.

I want just data going across isp1

and I want to use isp 2 for just voice and video.

I am doing all intervlan routing at the core.

What are my configuration options? for routing and switching the traffic.

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

At the beginning of the post you indicate that you want to change your IP routing so that it just uses BGP with no IGP. But when you explain what you want to achieve it is to route packets depending on what type of traffic the packet contains. That is not something that can be solved by any routing protocol. To achieve this what you need is to configure Policy Based Routing. That will give you the option to make routing decisions based on what type of traffic is being forwarded. That is your option and it should work without regard to what routing protocol you are using.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

RBURTS

You are correct the post is very vague. We are wanting to switch over to use just bgp as our routing protocol and you are correct that this is not going to have any bearing on separating the traffic. However we are currently running a PBR today and we are wanting to get away from it and make it a little easier for bringing new networks online and get away from having a ton of prefix lists. is there a way to maybe separate the traffic via vlan and then be able to route that vlan traffic to the correct circuit?

You could run HSRP and have router 1 HSRP master for data VLAN and HSRP backup for voice VLAN and have router 2 HSRP backup for data VLAN and HSRP master for voice VLAN. You would need to use tracking to make sure failover and failback occurs effectively.

You would also need to give some though to inbound path selection - you could use route maps and AS path prepending to make sure data comes in on router 1 and voice comes in on router 2 or you may get asymmetric routing happening.

Cory Roulette
Level 1
Level 1

Mfurnival

I was thinking about doing the HSRP config for the different traffic. You had mentioned about maybe having to prepend the AS path to make sure data comes in on router 1. Would that be true if everyone of our sites is in a mpls setup and all have the dual router/circuits?

Do you have a single mpls provider or different providers for each circuit?

Cory Roulette
Level 1
Level 1

different carriers

I would need to see a more detailed diagram / configs of your setup but I don't see it being a problem. AS path prepending is a simple way to influence inbound path selection - this kind of setup is fairly standard for people with dual connections who want to utilise both links.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card