Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing

Siddique
Level 1
Level 1

Screenshot_1.png

According to the picture single router connected with 2 ISP. 1 link 1G and another 512kbps. No routing protocol are running. Is it possible to 70% traffic goes through via 1G link and 30% traffic will go through 512kbps link, without running Eigrp, ospf, IS-IS and BGP.

Customer want to utilize both of link same time. Not fail over.

Thanks

17 Replies 17

Hello,

Without routing protocols I'm not sure its possible. The Unequal cost multi-pathing is built into the protocols as a set of rules to follow. If teh criteria is met then it can do it. Even if you use static routes you can do equal cost, but in your diagram you have different traffic % which I dont think is configurable with static routing.

-David

With routing

Config to advertise  30% of prefix behind edge router through isp1 and advertise 70% of prefix behind edge router through isp2,

This not give you excatly 30/70 but around that number.

With routing

For fialover if one isp is down, you can config edge router to advertise summary address through both isp.

This summary used by other site for reachable, keep in mind the router always choose longest match prefix, so if there is prefix and summary always router select prefix since it longest.

Without routing 

Now if you dont run any routing protocol then,

Use pbr,

Use extended acl for match,

This acl is premit 30 or 70 % of you traffic 

Use set next hop with verify feature.

Verify feature give you fialover if isp next hop is down.

Thanks a lot sir.

Can you share any link where i can get this kind of configuration example .

Thanks again sir.

I will do gns3 lab and share here after 2-3 hours.

I do this lab for you, from the Edge router R4 when the ISP1 link is down i success to shift traffic to other ISP2
note:- there is one issue here the R7 must detect the ISP drop in edge router R4, otherwise some packet will drop.

mhm lab.pngmhm lab2.png

NB: One problem with PBR, would be the load balancing would be very, very static.

I know but he not run any routing, and according to his require I do this lab.
may be not so optimal but it will give him some idea in his network.
thanks 

Many many thanks and salute you for your helping with lab solution. 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Customer want to utilize both of link same time. Not fail over.

there is pros and cons, if you do not like to use Failover mechanism.

you can split the Load in your network Subnet A use ISP1 and Subnet B uses ISP2 (but if one of the Link failes, example ISP1 the subnet A not able to go to internet, is this acceptable ?)

if that is not acceptable, you like to use only static route, PBR and SLA (with some EEM you can achieve best here)

- as other post mentioned you can not make % level, you need to split the load based on the machine IP range.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for your reply sir.

Can you share any config example or link where i can get this kind of config example please.

Thanks a Lot sir.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"No routing protocol are running."

So then, you must be using static route statements.  Otherwise, traffic would only flow out on those links to the links' host addresses.  (Anything beyond the connected network would require routing information.)

It wouldn't be easy to obtain a 70/30 split, but a 67/33 split might be achieved by adding a second static route using the gig link, although you'll need another IP destination IP for that extra static route.

BTW, I believe PfR could provide your 70/30 split, including dynamically, without using a routing protocol.

Also BTW, the links are gig and 512 Kbps?  I.e. you didn't mean 512 Mbps?  If 512 Kbps is correct, that's a 20:1 ratios between the links, and using ordinary static or dynamic routing, doing static load balancing, probably not actually a good idea to use the second link except for fail over.  However, if using PfR, since it dynamically load balances, it might be worth using the second link, actively, although, again if only 512 Kbps, you're only adding about 5% to your overall bandwidth capacity.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it will 512Mbps. Not kbps.

"BTW, I believe PfR could provide your 70/30 split, including dynamically, without using a routing protocol." Sir can you give me a link where i can get a config example with topology.

Thanks a Lot

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card