Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Running BGP on Cisco 9300 Catalyst Switch

I have two remote Colo Data Centers that I plan to have a 400 Mbps DIA and 1Gbps WAVE (DWDM) circuit at, which will all connect back to the main Corp DC. I am trying to keep the cost down, so I tried to avoid getting an ISR (4331) router so that I don't have to pay for the additional fees mentioned below. I believe the 9300 switches will provide the throughput capability, with the fiber handoffs needed, along with the port density required. I do not foresee exchanging too many routes between the DC's. There would potentially be 5 - 20 prefixes needing to be advertised along with a default route from the ISP, and 4 BGP peers. 

Does anyone know any performance issues that should be concerned when using a 9300 switch for this type of deployment?

ISR Router Fees

• 8 port NIM Card
  • Boost performance lic
  • Cisco One Adv Lic
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sure most of the WAN edge will be terminated at Layer 2 Switch Like this. if you want security you can enable MACSec (depends on requirement)

if you have FW directly connected that is protected your network, technically i do not see any issue here..

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not see any issue, make sure you have right License for Cat 9300. ( also note This is switch, do not have any capabilites of Filtering, NAT, IPSEC so on)

if these feature not required then you can connect your LES circuit.

BB

Thanks, Balaji. I will have a Cisco FTD at each site as well to take care of the NAT, IPSEC, and Filtering.

Sure most of the WAN edge will be terminated at Layer 2 Switch Like this. if you want security you can enable MACSec (depends on requirement)

if you have FW directly connected that is protected your network, technically i do not see any issue here..

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card