Views
Helpful
Replies

serial interface bandwidth and queue on interface dependency

webstd.design
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can you please clarify why I see queues on interface 128kbps while interface loaded only 80kbps?

Is it possible to tune this somehow?

sh int se0/0/0 | i bits|queue

Broadcast queue 0/64, broadcasts sent/dropped 0/0, interface broadcasts 0

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 10

Output queue: 25/1000/64/10 (size/max total/threshold/drops)

Available Bandwidth 1158 kilobits/sec

5 minute input rate 10000 bits/sec, 25 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 80000 bits/sec, 76 packets/sec

6 Replies 6

webstd.design
Level 1
Level 1

It's Frame-relay link, should we consider encapsulation as additional payload

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Can you please clarify why I see queues on interface 128kbps while interface loaded only 80kbps?

Your 80 Kbps is a 5 minute average.  Your 25 packets in the egress queue are an instantaneous snap shot.

Network traffic is often "bursty".  Very likely, if you do consecutive show interface stats, you'll see the queue depth vary; likely you should catch some with queue showing zero.

Is it possible to tune this somehow?

To accomplish?

I'd like to understand whether the link is really overloaded or this can be some carrier issue. On capacity graphs the link doesn't look overloaded, it get about 60 % sometimes, but not more

Do you think I should ask carrier to check the real link throughput of this link? The issue is that users started concerning that some application works very slowly through this link

Do a show controllers, or just take a look at the detailed show interface command looking for any CRC or Frame counts.

If you havent cleared counters in a while , do that and then check 24 hours later.

I would look at the Apps folks are complaining about to see how they behave. I'd bet money they work great on a LAN,

and not on a WAN..

Hello
I suppose for a clearer showing of statistics changes you change the load-interval to minimum value of 30 seconds, but on the down side this is a more reactive value and could give a false representation

Int serxx
Load-interval 30

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I'd like to understand whether the link is really overloaded or this can be some carrier issue. On capacity graphs the link doesn't look overloaded, it get about 60 % sometimes, but not more

Likely link is overloaded, which isn't too hard to do with 128 Kbps.

As to capacity graphs, 60% doesn't sound that far off.  If your running TCP traffic, TCP flows may probe for available bandwidth by overdriving the link and then backing off by 50%.  So, bandwidth usage tend to be lower than available bandwidth.  You can improve on that if you set the TCP receiver's RWIN and router's buffers to the bandwidth delay product.  Then a TCP flow will cap itself at link capacity.

Also depending on you traffic, most monitoring is a multi-minute average.

Do you think I should ask carrier to check the real link throughput of this link? The issue is that users started concerning that some application works very slowly through this link

If you want to confirm you're able to get your full 128 Kbps, try a performance test tool.

As to user complaining about poor performance, not surprising if multiple users are sharing only 128 Kbps.  If not already using, FQ might help a little.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card