Helpful
Replies

Serial Interface: Clock Rate bandwidth

Kaushik Ray
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I would be grateful if someone can advice me on this:

I have a WAN link with capacity of 2560Kbps. I was looking at Solarwinds for the interface and see that the interface is capped at 2Mbps. While checking through the interface I see that the Serial interface is configured as follows:

interface Serial0/1/0

bandwidth 2560

no ip address

load-interval 30

no fair-queue

clock rate 2000000

end

Could the clock rate set as 2000000 be capping the bandwidth? I wanted to change it and the next available clockrate is

4000000; should i then set it to this value?

Thanks

21 Replies 21

Thanks Paolo

It was a discussion started long ago but finally got around to re-engineer it and go full IP end to end and the issue is resolved. thanks for your advice on this !

regards

there is an existing L2TP connection to the other end of the WAN link which terminates on this WIC-2T in question.

Also there are no spare ethernet ports on the routers.

Kaushik Ray wrote:

there is an existing L2TP connection to the other end of the WAN link which terminates on this WIC-2T in question.

Also there are no spare ethernet ports on the routers.

You can use switches and VLANS , or add ports as required.

L2TP does not matter at all.

Thanks Paul for your views. Actually I would have gone ethernet if i was setting it up originally but it was setup by some one else who set it up as it is at the present, I am looking at ways to make this work which would require minimum change on the client side and minumum downtime.

Kaushik Ray wrote:

Thanks Paul for your views. Actually I would have gone ethernet if i was setting it up originally but it was setup by some one else who set it up as it is at the present, I am looking at ways to make this work which would require minimum change on the client side and minumum downtime.

No matted who did what before, now you can adopt good  practices and have things work perfectly, or go in rounds and not achieve anything. Your choice really.

The Cisco 2800 router with WIC-2T will support only a maximum of 2Mbps.  You will need to upgrade to the newer HWIC module in the 2800 router to go to 4Mbps or 8Mbps on each port..  What is the router and WIC on the DTE end of the link?  How long is the back-to-back cable between the routers?

Brian

Thanks Brian for your reply. The other router is 3845 and WIC-2T as well; I routers are close by in the same rack and I think they are 3 metres DCE and 3 metres DTE cables that connect them up.

I would think if we upgrade the WIC-2T to HWIC-4T or HWIC-2T, I can set the clock rate to 4000000 and then can transfer the 2560Kbps?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card