cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Server can't ping anything, but other devices can ping it

Exoticbutter
Level 1
Level 1

I seem to have a problem with pinging. My IoT devices can ping the server, but the server can't ping anything, not even the router. I'm a beginner with a month's of study in networking only. Please tell me in detail why the server can't ping other devices. Any help will be much appreciated!

Due to limited image size, I have attached only limited images. Please help me figure it out!!

19 Replies 19

Exoticbutter
Level 1
Level 1

Everything in my network can ping to everything, except for server -> other devices, that doesn't work

from server can you post ipconfig /all output ?

from what device you try to ping Server ( what is the IP of the device ?)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi I tried to ping end devices with server, but none of it works, it only works the other way round, devices -> server

As per the screenshot, server do not have gateway, also check the is the IP address correct.

as per one of screenshot your router also has same IP address 10.0.0.1 (so its conflict the IP address)

so change the IP address of the Server with free address  example :

10.0.0.X

gateway 10.0.0.1 should work.

BB

I've followed what u said and changed Server IPv4 address to 10.0.0.2 and gateway 10.0.0.1, but to no avail. 

as per the document then correct, Server ( check FW as suggested to disable) should be 10.0.0.1  (adding gateway not harm - that is 10.0.0.10 towards wireless router ( Wireless router should be 10.0.0.10 as per teh config)

please change this and post show run from wireless router.

BB

Yes, why server cant ping anything is also part of the exercise in the document for us to find out. It asked why all devices can ping one another, except server not ping anything. 

I changed the gateway of Server to 10.0.0.10, but to no avail. 

Server cant any one becuse there is no route to go out, so you need to add gateway on Server 10.0.0.10 towards wireless as explianed.

because all device on diffrent network of 192.x.x.x ( so your router should tell where this server is) and server should respond back (since no gateway - it is not know how to go out.

i am sure from router wireless able to ping 10.0.0.1  and from server you able to ping 10.0.0.10 ?

please change this and post show run from wireless router.

BB

Here is my pkt file

i do not use PT at all - i am not great FAN of it. if you can provide the information i have asked before  i can help you so you can learn part of your study or wait for others who can fix your PT file and give you back (but i ask myself question what did we learn here if some one able to fix PT file).

because all device on diffrent network of 192.x.x.x ( so your router should tell where this server is) and server should respond back (since no gateway - it is not know how to go out.

i am sure from router wireless able to ping 10.0.0.1  and from server you able to ping 10.0.0.10 ?

BB

Okay, I have configured Server to have default gateway 10.0.0.10 to the IP address of router.

1) My wireless router doesn't have CLI tab I think, I can't see one. (It is model WRT300N)

2) My server ping to Router "ping 10.0.0.10", gives "request time out, 100% loss" 

I wish to learn.

2) My server ping to Router "ping 10.0.0.10", gives "request time out, 100% loss" 

This required to fix, from WRT 300N Gui you have option to ping , check and try to Ping Server IP 10.0.0.1 what is the results.

from server can you post again ipconfig /all 

After many changes here - save the config of the devices. reload WRT and Server and check.

BB

Can you guide me to the CLI of Wireless Router? I attached photos of the GUI tabs. I also attached Server ipconfig /all image. 

Hello

@Exoticbutter wrote:

My IoT devices can ping the server, but the server can't ping anything,

Everything in my network can ping to everything, except for server -> other devices, that doesn't work

Make sure you don't have any software firewall enabled on the server or end devices, if you do disable them and test again

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card