Views
Helpful
Replies

Setup Internet with Verizon Device

ankitohc
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Team,

This is a topology which i need to implement in the physical environment. I have a cisco router 2800 series and catalyst switch and 2 host machines. When I connect the verizon to router wan port it shows the private IP address not public. How can I route the traffic to get the internet connection on all host machines?  I need your suggestions to archive this.

ankitohc_0-1695221151520.png

Please note- This is not virtual lab. I am doing on physical devices 

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is not clear in your description whether the switch is operating as layer 2 or as layer 3 and therefore not clear which device is the gateway for the connected hosts. That would impact some details of your solution but the important part of the solution is that your router would configure a static default route with the next hop being the IP address of the Verizon interface connected to your router.

We do not know the details of your service contract with Verizon, but it is quite possible that you will need to configure Network Address Translation on your router translating the subnet used by the connected hosts to appear as the address of your interface connecting to Verizon.

HTH

Rick

Well, its layer 3 switch.. It just like a home ISP router 

Thanks for confirming that the switch is operating as layer 3. So am I correct in understanding that the host machines default gateway is the switch? In that case this should describe your environment:

- host machines default gateway is the switch and they forward all traffic for remote destinations to the switch.

- the switch needs a default route with the router as the next hop. The switch treats the subnet(s) where host machines are as connected subnet(s).

- the router needs a route for the subnets(s) where the host machines are with the switch as the next hop. The router needs a default route with Verizon as the next hop.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card